Thanksgiving...bah humbug.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stacyspy

Reaction score
I like to think I'm a considerate hostess. I plan a menu that is kid and adult friendly, with lots of different dishes. Today is my second day of cooking, and I'm cleaning in between. I'm tired, and have been contemplating opening a bottle of wine since 8 am...lol
My brother in law's girlfriend (they have 4 kids) calls me and tells me she has a list of dishes her kids (the oldest being 7) want for dinner, and in addition, a list of foods they won't eat even if it's just a part of a dish. Seriously?! So I politely suggest she is welcome to bring those dishes to dinner tomorrow. She not so politely points out that, since I'm the hostess, I must accommodate my guest's wishes. Yeah. No. It went downhill from there, as I hung up on her during her tirade. She felt it necessary to call my BIL, who then called me, and I repeated myself word for word. He also didn't like that suggestion, and hung up on me when I suggested that perhaps a restaurant would be more suitable.
Sigh. I enjoy cooking, and now I'm feeling like not doing a dang thing.
Sorry for the rant... but Happy Thanksgiving eve!!!
:crazy::crazy:

Personally, I think that's very rude of them to call you the day before to bring-up these concerns. I always ask if I can bring some dishes if I'm invited to a meal, regardless if it's a family dinner or a casual get-together with friends.
My kids are picky eaters, but I am bringing some items they will eat. It's not my MIL's responsibility to cater to everyone's taste.
Happy Thanksgiving! I hope it gets better! (And have that glass of wine!)

Open that wine (I won't tell), and hopefully they won't show. If they do, they eat the foods you prepared, or they don't eat! I've got a gaggle of kids, very picky and finicky, and I've NEVER TOLD a host/hostess what I need them to prepare. I figure out what IS prepared, and bring extras for the younger picky eaters if need be. What is wrong with people these days lol?! Seriously... relax and enjoy. Have a Happy Thanksgiving no matter what!

I'm so sorry this happened to you.
Very similar situation happened with me with my MIL. I finally just point blank told her that I am not a restaurant and she couldn't just order what she wanted, and if that's what she wanted to do, she'd be better served going to a restaurant.
I have not had them for any meal since and it's been a God-Send. I'm so much happier now than I was in those early days. (This was 14 years ago, and I don't miss them one bit)

Well , I had (Canada) on thanksgiving my partner son with his fiance ( from muslim family ; no pork) this was the only request that I think is reasonable, Actually we spend enjoyable evening. If someone called me telling me what am suppose to cook I would hang the phone :)

This is pretty unbelievable and so out of line. My niece was extremely picky, and for years her Thanksgiving dinner consisted of a dill pickle, corn and a roll. She didn't go hungry, and even doting Grandma didn't make her a separate meal.

Have that wine.
I was afraid I was the only one! I serve one meal, Thanksgiving or no. They have to eat what they are served at home. As a guest, they have to eat whatever they put on their plate. My mother taught me that, but she is the worst for catering to their tastes: "He won't eat chicken? I'll make him something else."

I think you absolutely said the right thing. While a host is supposed to provide a welcoming environment, the onerous also applies to the guest: you don't ask for unreasonable things.

She didn't offer to help clean or cook either, only to add more duties to your hostess list. Family or not - that's not appropriate guest behavior.

I bet you're feeling guilty, and are very tempted to give in. I can urge you not to, but that won't have any affect. It's ultimately up to you, but know that I am on your side. For a typical NON holiday meal, any professional with training in dealing with kids' food pickiness (occupational therapist, behaviorial therapist) will tell a parent to have one item at the meal the kid will eat. You have how many kids coming? You can't and shouldn't make different plates of food for them.
You might feel better though, if you have a box of mac n cheese, or pbj sandwich supplies in the house that the PARENT can access in order to feed their own picky child. HOWEVER, this is not required as being part of a good hostess!

Our 9 year old is picky so we've dealt with this a lot. It's different when they're 3 and a skipped meal will cause a screaming meltdown that affects the whole crowd. It's another when the child choose to not "eat around" the offending food and pick out what they will eat. Or go get a slice of cheese for apple from the fridge themselves.

I'm also going out on a limb here and suggest you don't have wine yet as a way to cope with this. Alcohol is a nervous system depressant. It will not help with the rest of the day.

Again, you have my support.

Wow. SO RUDE. I might be tempted to dig up a bunch of Dear Abby and Miss Manners links on this subject and email them to her.

I've got some young cousins who are very picky eaters. They mostly eat mashed potatoes on Christmas Day. That's fine with me! Their mom doesn't ask for anything special. I do keep a few microwave macaroni cups in the pantry just in case for them.

Holy cow, the entitlement!

I feel spoiled with my family. When I host, I just make a turkey, mashed potatoes and stuffing and everyone else bring a dish to round out the meal. We treat most family meals as potlucks - it really takes the strain off the host.

I can't imagine dealing with that. I'd probably laugh and hang up.

I agree with just about everything that everyone has said but I wouldn't have mac and cheese on hand. Make your meal and they can pick out what they want from their plate.

They are out of line not you.
Very best wishes for the day.
Let us know how it goes.

Wow- how incredibly rude! Has she (or your BIL) never heard the old adage of not looking a gift horse in the mouth? If one is invited to a free meal, one is not in a position to dictate the contents of the menu. You thankfully eat what is freely put before you, or you bring a dish more to your liking that you can freely share with everyone else. At least that is how I was brought up.

toxicon said:
I feel spoiled with my family. When I host, I just make a turkey, mashed potatoes and stuffing and everyone else bring a dish to round out the meal. We treat most family meals as potlucks - it really takes the strain off the host.

That is how we do Thanksgiving, too. It works out wonderfully.

IrishLass :)

Wow, I’m sorry you had t deal with this. Incredibly rude. You did the right thing, don’t let selfish, inconsiderate people ruin your holiday

Happy Thanksgiving and you deserve that wine.

I agree with just about everything that everyone has said but I wouldn't have mac and cheese on hand. Make your meal and they can pick out what they want from their plate.

They are out of line not you.
Very best wishes for the day.
Let us know how it goes.

I have the mac n cheese cups for me anyway. My cousin (the mom of the 2 picky kids) has never actually asked for them. I would not suggest that someone else do that b/c I do think asking for separate food is very rude!

Picky eater story:
20+ years ago (I'm not going to do that math, lol) we lived next door to a very nice couple with a daughter my age. They had what I call a department store Christmas tree - it has a very specific color theme. It's a fake tree with a specific set of ribbons and ornaments. Our tree is the opposite - a real tree with handmade and gifted ornaments, along with about 4 boxes of tinsel. It looks like Christmas threw up on our tree. So a tradition evolved where this family would join us for our tree decorating every year.

Part of the tradition is that my mom makes chicken and dumplings from scratch. The man of this couple didn't like chicken and dumplings so Mom started making him a Stouffer's lasagna. No extra trouble and we were close enough that we didn't mind.

One year, we had some extra company. A member of the neighbor's extended family had died and they'd had the funeral the day of the tree decorating, so we invited some of their out of town family over. Neighbor Husband told my mom that one of his relatives wouldn't like the chicken and dumplings either, so would mom mind making a 2nd stouffer's lasagna? No problem.

We all sit down to Mom's good china bowls filled with dumplings - this poor man is looking from his plastic tray of lasagna to the dumplings, clearly hurt. Well, Neighbor Wife explained to him what Neighbor Husband had done. We managed to spoon up a few little dumplings for this guy..sadly for him, the big fluffy ones were already gobbled up.

Back