Favorite masculine blends

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenlwhi2

Reaction score
Can you all help me out with masculine blends? I'm using eos only. Recipes or percentages would be helpful! After browsing through old threads I did one that I saw recommended numerous times which was a combo of :
Woodsy like fir, cedar, etc
citrus
mint
sandalwood, patchouli etc

So I used equal parts of ones I already had: orange, cedarwood, patchouli, and Spearmint. It smells great! But it smells like orange and Spearmint and not at all 'rugged '. In fact u don't smell the cedarwood at all.
Would this blend be good but just use more like
40% cedar
40% patchouli
10% spesrmint
10% orange

Or would different citrus and mints be better?
I loved how these smelled together before they were in the soap! Too bad they don't stay that way!
TIA!

One of my personal favorites is rosemary and mint.

Also really like sage and pine needle.

What percentages are y'all using? I'm finding mint and citrus (orange) can take over.

bergamot, fir needle, and patchouli.

Start with a 1:1:1 ratio and adjust as you like. I love bergamot and go heavier on that. Sometimes, if I want it a little sweeter, I'll add a small touch of sweet orange. Just go easy on the orange as that takes over quickly.

I only use a dab of mint in most EO blends -- I want it to add a bright freshness without screaming MINT. My favorite blend for shave soap is lavender 64%, rosemary 30%, and mint 6%.

IMO, orange doesn't tend to stick around as strongly as mint. So I tend to want my blends to be a bit orangier than I want the final product to be. I did one with 3 parts lavender 2 parts sweet orange and 1 part mint that I really liked.

How much of each?

For spearmint & patchouli, I did maybe 60% spearmint, 40% patchouli...but I think it depends on if they like patchouli. If not, up the spearmint.
For cedarwood & cinnamon, about 80% cedarwood, 20% cinnamon.
You can also check eocalc.com for ideas. There is also a calculator that will help you determine how much EO to use, depending on your product.

Back