Mixing colorants with oil...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenn2980

Reaction score
Tomorrow I am making my first batch with color. I have alkanet root powder infusing in olive oil and I only plan on coloring a small part of the batter to do a slight purple swirl and a tiny bit of purple on top.

If I'm only coloring a small portion of the soap, do I need to take into account the amount of infused olive oil with the recipe? (my recipe already has a superfat of 8%)

If I do need to subtract that olive oil amount from the total in the recipe, any tips on how to really do that since I don't yet know how much I will need to use to get the right color?

I hope I'm making sense lol

I have a lot of infused and also preblended colors in oils.. I don't ever take away from the recipe unless I'm doing lots of color. And then I just lower the superfat %.
IMO I wouldn't want to do any guessing with the base recipe.. figure that's what superfat is for. :)

I have a lot of infused and also preblended colors in oils.. I don't ever take away from the recipe unless I'm doing lots of color. And then I just lower the superfat %.
IMO I wouldn't want to do any guessing with the base recipe.. figure that's what superfat is for. :)

Ah, I never even thought about just lowering the superfat in the recipe, well that makes it easy lol, thanks for that tip! :-D I don't think I'll even worry about it with tomorrow's batch then since it will be a small amount, but I'll keep that in mind for times when there will be more used.

Latest posts

Back