Naming Your Soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cellador

Reaction score
I don't sell, but I may some day...Anyway, my husband and I have been debating a topic, and I wanted to get everyone's feedback.
If I create a soap that was inspired by a certain movie, book, character, etc., can you use that as the name of your soap (for sale?). For instance, if I am a "The Shining" fan and I create a red soap and call it "Redrum," is it illegal? Would Stephen King's group be able to sue me because I used something that is his intellectual property? Even though it can't be confused with his work in any way?
Again, I don't even sell, but I see this on Etsy all the time...What do you think?

If you are not selling and just making for the family, I don't see a problem. If your soap is used by the general public, you need to be careful, maybe name your soap using a synonym for the main word in your title.

I have geeky themed things and do sell now. I skirt the edges as closely as I feel safe doing so using a combo of a phrase/trope and description that generally most geeks would probably get, but the general public not really into any specific fandom would only see as creativity. While checking the trademark database from time to time. :p

if i create a soap that was inspired by a certain movie, book, character, etc., can you use that as the name of your soap (for sale?).

I think movies, books, songs, characters, etc. are wonderful inspirations for naming soaps and such. Examples:

Slumdog Soap - Sandelwood
Old Buttermilk Chai Soap - Buttermilk & Chai EO blend
Milky Way - Condensed Milk soap
Sudsweiser -Beer Soap
Boogie Nights
Twilight
Rapunzel - Flaxseed/Rosin Liquid Shampoo
Goldilocks - Carrot-infused Sunflower Oil Liquid Shampoo

View attachment Slumdog.pdf

Back