Glycerine-Based Not Very Lathery

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moneer81

Reaction score
Hello,

I am new to making soap and to this forum as well. I made my first batch using blocks of glycerine from Hobby Lobby that I melted in a pot, then added some vitamin E oil, lilac essential oil, and yellow coloring. It turned out fine, but the soap did not produce much sud when used. I tried a second batch with similar ingredients and also added some olive oil. I think I might have added too much oil but the soap still doesn't have much lather when used.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to improve my soap? I know that the best soap is made from lye and other bases but we're just trying to make some wedding favors and have already invested quite a bit in ingredients, so we would like to use the glycerine blocks if at all possible, and make somewhat decent soap. Any advice/recipes/links will be appreciated!

Thanks

I've read that melt and pour soap can be notoriously non-lathery.

Try adding sugar or castor oil to your base. I wouldn't add olive oil though, it won't do anything for the lather.

Low suds is a big complain about M&P. The customers do not seem to mind, but the maker do. You can purchase M&P shaving soap base online & it is formulated to have extra lather. You can even blend it 50 50 w/ standrad base. You will save a lot of money ordering online too. You will pay for shipping but the product cost will probably be 1/2 of a hobby shops retail price.

When I first started, I used a craft store base and found it to be really bad as far as lathering went. I think adding the vit. E cuts down on your lather too. As far as lathering boosters, someone once suggested to me to add sugar to the base to help, I believe it was equal parts regular sugar to base but can't quite remember.

I've now moved on to using a goats milk base from wholesalesuppliesplus.com and it lathers really well on it's own. I do however make a brown sugar soap using equal parts base and sugar and it seems to lather more than my regular soaps. As someone else suggested, you may want to try getting a different base and adding it to what you already have...that might help the lather too. If you get the right base, you won't need or want to add vit. e to it.

Hope this helps....

Thanks for all the answers!

Equal parts sugar and base? Am I understanding this correctly? So if I am using 1 block of glycerine that has a volume of roughly 1 cup when melted, I need to use 1 full cup of sugar?

Moneer81 said:
Thanks for all the answers!

Equal parts sugar and base? Am I understanding this correctly? So if I am using 1 block of glycerine that has a volume of roughly 1 cup when melted, I need to use 1 full cup of sugar?

That's what I do for my brown sugar soap....I would imagine that's what you'd do with regular sugar too but I'm not 100%. But I go by weight and not volume so I'm not sure if that matters either...like..if your using 5oz. of base, use 5oz. of sugar.

Back