Bath Bomb Ingredient Questions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well now see, I think the addition and/or quantity of the epsom salts is going to depend on your customer. If my son were a paying customer, or if I were selling to those in physically demanding jobs, they would want the bombs with the high quantity epsom salts. At least that's the general consensus I get. Demographics may differ, of course, but mine read that should I sell, I'd need to carry a line of high-epsom content for those types. (Construction workers, waitresses, roofers, asbestos removal workers <----son, etc.)

I guess because my son is a fan of the salts, I'm a fan of them for him. So I'm saying don't rule them out, but judge wisely. Play. I've learned how to make a good hard, solid bomb with a LOT the stuff present, in a humid climate, so if I can, there's hope.

I'll just note that a "therapeutic dose" of Epsom salts is around 2c and if you are selling with "therapeutic doses" then the FDA is going to rule the product as a drug. You can certainly use Epsom salts as a selling point but be careful not to make any claims.

Dont forget that epsom salts are contra indicated if you have high blood pressure so you need to make sure you are covered on labelling etc.

Just wondering if kaolin clay in bath bombs can cause water to turn a bit grayish... I made BB with baking soda, citric acid, coconut oil, kaolin clay, e-wax, SLSA, fragrance, and no colorants. At first water is clean and after a few minutes or so turns grayish. Any thoughts/advice?

yeah ewax in bath bombs will clog the draining system, color is from colorants, are you sure you used the ones for BB?

Wondering if the SLSA pulled dirt from the tub? My tub is always cleaner after testing bubble scoops made with SLSA.

I have eliminated epsom salts in my bath bombs because of the warting issues. I am still trying to perfect that perfect bath bomb!! :( I heard that ewax in the bombs, in a small amount, will help with them staying hard.

I use Dead Sea salts and pink Himalayan instead of epsom in my BB, the pink is just pretty. Also, to harden mine up a bit, I use coconut oil and cocoa butter. I did have some problems in the beginning with blooming after releasing from the molds but now I use less witch hazel to bind them because the coconut firms up pretty well. I want to add some gaining action as well but haven’t gotten that far yet.

I Need Help With My Ingredients! I Have Kaolin Clay, Essential Oil, Baking Soda, Citric Acid, Mica, Polysorbate 80, Epsom Salt, Castor Oil, And Witch Hazel. Does Anyone Have A Recipe, Only Using Those Ingredients?

Super thread thanks all.

Now I know what to call those ugly bumps on my bombs. Warts! Perfect description. Good to know that Epsom salts can contribute. I used the last of what I had on hand yesterday and I won’t be getting more sine I like “no wart” bombs!

Is e wax : emulsifying wax? Do you have to melt it before adding? Is it difficult to incorporate? Any particular kind you like?

Would cocoa butter serve the same purpose to firm up the bombs?

@Clarice I've found the biggest cause of warts is using water or too much witch hazel to wet the mixture. I use 91% alcohol if additional wetting is needed. I've never used e-wax nor have I seen a recipe call for it. I've used cocoa butter or coconut oil.

my workshop is like 21% of humidity, heat is on. I found that using water gives me the most time to work with the powders, I stopped using WH cause it causes powdery bath bombs at least for me. Ewaz in bb does not do anything. in 1200 grams of powders I use like Shunt 1 tbsp of sea salt , it helps with hardening but it is not enough to catch the moisture from the air, When the humid weather arrives i will not add the salt

@Clarice you should. sometimes it's just playing with them. It took me a long time to get it to where they work most of the time. I don't make a lot of them as they are not big sellers here. But I make enough during my show season. I've had fails.

Latest posts

Back