Soooo... microwave soap anyone?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jstar

Reaction score
Just found this on youtube....anyone tried this?

Looks cool..but I would be afraid to try it myself...my luck would dictate volcanoes all over the place :lol:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YLCXyrXuL0"]ByrdiJeans Microwave Soap [/ame]

I've seen it on here but never tried it..
This one was different than another.. I don't understand the value in this? Actually didn't seem to be hp her way. I skipped through a little but saw each stage.

Last edited:
I remember there being a huge discussion of this method over on another forum sometime last year. Here is a link to the thread: http://www.thedishforum.com/forum/i...yone-tried-byrdijeans-hp-method/?hl=microwave

If you read the last posts in the linked thread, the consensus of the majority of those who tried it and kept careful track of their soap's progress over months seems to be that in the end, they did not deem the method as being advantageous over making HP the regular way with full water.

On the positive side, those testing out the method in the above link did not get those sagging sway tops in their fully cured soap like they do in regular HP, but on the negative side, there was still shrinkage, however, which betrayed itself in the middle of the soap (instead of the top) by a show of concaveness there. And at least one person mentioned that it messed with their colors (weren't as vivid as with their normal HP).

Also, they were disappointed that those who claimed success with the method were not forthcoming with pictures of their long-term results, i.e., although they were able to find lots of pictures online of freshly-cut soap using this method, nobody could find any of the same soaps at 4 to 6 weeks cure.

Hopefully, if there are any here that have used the method successfully, they will post pics of their long-term results. :smile:

IrishLass :)

I've done microwave HP before and it is verrry dependent on the recipe. Also, it will still sag/shrink during curing. It doesn't matter if you place it in the freezer or not. I have not tried it with sodium lactate however, I doubt that would stop it from sagging.

With all the variables in her video, I would have mess up, somewhere alone the line of "ifs". I make 4 lb logs (HP), and I have soap in the same amount of time as she did microwaving it. I have a hard time being "Normal", whatever that means.:!:

I forgot to say that it also takes pretty much the same amount of time as crock pot HP. The only time it makes things faster is if you forgot to warm up your crock pot and have to wait for it. Otherwise, I usually end up with more of a mess using the microwave anyway because I get impatient.

I've noticed its also good if you want to do a very small batch that wont SB (or cook) well in your CP. But, now I have 1 quart, 2 quart and 6 quart CP's so I dont need to do it anymore.

Back