Natural Deodorant Cause Swollen Lymph Nodes?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I highly doubt it is a reaction to the baking soda. So doubtful that i will volunteer to stand on my head and eat my shoes if it is. A reaction to topically applied baking soda is a topical one. I would suspect a contaminant in something. That is if these two people dont know eachother or about the others 'reaction' and if in fact there were any swollen lymph nodes. As someone else suggested, perhaps plugged glands or pores or maybe a local bug going around and they just happened to stop using the deodorant around the time they were getting it.

I gave a friend one of my soaps with tons of skin softening butters and vitamin E but had a fine coffee exfoliant. After grinding the armpits with this soap in this shower, they applied an alcoholy roll-on deodorant afterwards. It was like the surface of the sun. :p

@OP, I feel your concern though. I've had similar happen.. I would like to make a deo but it seems very confusing.

Last edited:
Ok I know this thread is old, but omg I am having this issue! I was just mixing oil with baking soda and using a small amount once or twice a week, kept getting minor swollen lymph nodes. Had no idea what it was from at first. I then mixed baking soda with different oils and it was still happening. Everything was super clean so no bacteria. I made many batches over time. When I stopped using the baking soda it went away. Then I decided to put a lot on for a couple days and holy cow, major irritation and horribly painful swollen lymph nodes. I know the percentage of baking soda was super high, but it does make me wonder how safe baking soda is lol. It was 100% the baking soda!

My wife and I recently switched to Native Deodorant. Unfortunately we both began getting painful underarm cysts. After my third one we discontinued use of the product and haven't had a problem since. I'd say that it was a coincidence however since we both started getting them I don't think that it was. I'm 42 years old and I've never had this issue previously.

Welcome to the forum, Eric! :) Why don't you stop by the Introduction section and tell us more about yourself!

IrishLass :)

Have these two customers been using your deodorant prior to this batch? Or are they new to your product? Have you or your other customers used this batch without issue? With my honey, I have to keep a sample of each “pull”, labelled with the date, etc. , in case there are issues with it. Do you have a sample that you can take to have tested?

This is a 2014 thread so is very old and several of the members including the OP are no longer active in the forum. A new thread would be advised. Opinions about using baking soda in deo sticks has changed considerably

This is a 2014 thread so is very old and several of the members including the OP are no longer active in the forum. A new thread would be advised. Opinions about using baking soda in deo sticks has changed considerably
Oh, I did not think to check when this was originally posted. I was looking at another one this morning and it was for LOWES plans for making your own soap box. It was not until I read the one post that said they could not open the link (I could not either) that the reply stated it was a post from 2014 and so the link was likely no longer available - BUT, they added an updated link that did allow me to get to the LOWES page for making your own soap box. However, when I clicked on the page, it locked up and my server would not access it anymore. Now, I cannot find where I saw that post. I have tried searching for "Lowes...blah, blah" I have tried a number of statements. Can you help me find that post, please?
Kelly

Oh, I did not think to check when this was originally posted. I was looking at another one this morning and it was for LOWES plans for making your own soap box. It was not until I read the one post that said they could not open the link (I could not either) that the reply stated it was a post from 2014 and so the link was likely no longer available - BUT, they added an updated link that did allow me to get to the LOWES page for making your own soap box. However, when I clicked on the page, it locked up and my server would not access it anymore. Now, I cannot find where I saw that post. I have tried searching for "Lowes...blah, blah" I have tried a number of statements. Can you help me find that post, please? It may have been inside another post? I do not remember.
Kelly
Also, are there recipes for deodorant here somewhere? That would be cool to try, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have a control that you can send out for testing or maybe you could have one of the two people send you their deodorant for testing? Sagescript can run microbial testing for cheap. Cindy also suggests a common usage test which might be just the ticket. Sorry that you are going through this. I would be really anxious and concerned if this happened to me!

Oh, I did not think to check when this was originally posted. I was looking at another one this morning and it was for LOWES plans for making your own soap box. It was not until I read the one post that said they could not open the link (I could not either) that the reply stated it was a post from 2014 and so the link was likely no longer available - BUT, they added an updated link that did allow me to get to the LOWES page for making your own soap box. However, when I clicked on the page, it locked up and my server would not access it anymore. Now, I cannot find where I saw that post. I have tried searching for "Lowes...blah, blah" I have tried a number of statements. Can you help me find that post, please?
Kelly
Here https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/lowes-plans-for-soap-molds.24055/

That is it, thank-you. OK, how did you find it? S0, how would I be able to find things on the forum, when I want to get back to them. I am still learning how to navigate in here.

So for this one - go to google.
I put in lowes plans for soap moulds/soapmakingforum.com

If looking for something specific, write down exactly what you want, then/soapmakingforum.com every time and it will come up or give you a few threads about the same subject.

This has just happened to me after using an all natural deodorant with the same ingredients. I stopped it and still waiting for nodes to diminish. Still enlarged and painful nodes but less itching today. I'm actually wondering if bees wax clogs the sweat glands. I'm not perspiring under arms either.which is very unusual for me.

Back