The boat that guy built (making soap).

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Relle

Administrator & Bunny Fanatic
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is part of a series on TV, if you have time its very interesting to watch the whole thing, there are other episodes where he learns how to make things - pottery etc from scratch.

Watch this one from around the 12.43 as he learns how to make soap - at the end he showers with it in his steam engine powered shower.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WXDf0w01X8&index=2&list=PLbeK5VAMjHTNCVXBmQ1gMvAZhSwk59riH[/ame]

Well, that was amusing! A few things I noted:
1. the interesting transitions from one topic to another -- a great way to keep things moving along!
2. the idea that one small loaf of soap is enough for a lifetime - NOT! (19:10)
3. the "efficacious" toilet -- no lie! I think our own Gent should check this one out! (24:10'ish)
2. "Success is clean!" 28:00

Thanks for sharing Relle!

At the moment it's on here once a week. It's a series and the others look interesting as well. We also had the series Grand Designs where he makes his own shack by the sea with all bits and peaces and makes his own soap to use.

2. the idea that one small loaf of soap is enough for a lifetime - NOT! (19:10)
For some it might be.

At least he went to the butcher and got his fat for the soap.

At least he went to the butcher and got his fat for the soap.

I agree with ya there, that was what hooked me into watching it right off the bat. I think it's good for people to know where their ingredients come from. And not just those derived from animals, either. It is too easy for people to assume there is no harm in their choices as long as they leave the obvious controversies alone.

I'm kind of confused. He didnt really make soap, he melted some fat and added some olive oil soap, right? It seemed to me a LOT of fat for not a lot of soap. I know in re batching you can add fats, but that much? Really?

That was pretty awesome. Looks like those of us in the US can watch it on YouTube :)

I like how he used the whole loaf to shower with!

Did anybody catch which essential oils he used? I thought he picked sandalwood and something else, but then they called it earl grey.

My favorite quote was "I love you more than chips!" When they got the shower running :)

Yeah, you can see him measuring out the lye and then that was mixed into water before being added into the rendered fat.

The other scent added was bergamot, which the lady mistakenly described as a flower. She mentioned that it was an ingredient in earl grey tea (true), which is why he called it earl grey soap. I had to go to wikipedia to figure out what she was saying, since 'bergamot' isn't something I'm used to hearing everyday, and her calling it a flower threw me off.

Yeah, you can see him measuring out the lye and then that was mixed into water before being added into the rendered fat.

The other scent added was bergamot, which the lady mistakenly described as a flower. She mentioned that it was an ingredient in earl grey tea (true), which is why he called it earl grey soap. I had to go to wikipedia to figure out what she was saying, since 'bergamot' isn't something I'm used to hearing everyday, and her calling it a flower threw me off.

Ok, that makes sense. I missed any mention about bergamot on the show :/ I missed bits here and there because of their strong accents...my ear just isn't used to it. Oops.

I missed bits here and there because of their strong accents...my ear just isn't used to it. Oops.

I don't have any trouble with the accents, lucky you can't hear me, you mightn't be able to understand the Aussie accent either. I do have trouble with some American accents.

These were the EO's she used - from Amphora
48_sandalwood_%20amyris_bottle+compo%20copy_300x300..jpeg
04_bergamot_bottle+compo_300x300.jpg

Thanks for those EOs pics, Relle
I went back and watched that part again last night...I could understand it then :) I think Guy might mumble and talk fast which makes it harder to catch the first time! I don't usually have too much trouble understanding accents, but I definitely have more of an ear for Russians and Ukrainians speaking English thanks to my in laws :)

Latest posts

Back