Please think of us in S. Cal fire area...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know there's a few of us in Southern California, and I wish all of you safety and good luck.

For those of you who believe in God, please pray. Nine fires today, and tomorrow is going to the the hottest day yet, and more Santa Ana winds.

We are between the San Marcos and Carlsbad fire, cars are packed, 2 hamsters and 3 betta fish right at the front door.

Be safe everyone.

Thank you la-renee, jules!

We're still here! The neighbors and I took turns driving up and down the road behind us which borders a canyon that could have been ignited by the Poinsetta or Cocos fire...good thing too, because there was an ember that started a small fire by the road. Thankfully the person who found it was prepared with a shovel and put it out!

Everybody has been so helpful and generous here...really looking out for each other, right down to sharing the last case of bottled water at the store. The gas stations were ordered to shut down, so I dashed to get fueled up and a paper map. Our little girl was distressed (many toys had to be left behind at home) and this employee offered to gas up the car while we shopped...and mentioned that there was a little basket of toys behind the counter and she could pick one out for the trip! We were in and out in minutes!

There's an animal rescue place that houses large animals, and people with horse trailers just started showing up to help with the evacuation. Social media has lots of people offering their spare rooms to evacuees, or taking in pets.

Yes, there is evil in the world, but when it comes right down to it...there's a whole lot more goodness.

Yesterday I drove by the area of fire nearest us that had been contained. Two miles, as the crow flies, from us. We were very, very lucky. I just wish everyone else could have been.

Carabou, thanks for asking!

The vast majority of people threatened by any of the 12 fires were pretty safe by Saturday morning because the weather was slightly cooler, and the winds calmer (Santa Ana winds gust were about 50 mph at some parts, and humidity levels in single digits). The firefighter started winning the battle!

Again, I have to say that people here were really looking out for each other. It's been an amazing experience - terrifying but amazing to see perfect strangers going the extra mile.

Our house was literally a hop skip and a jump from the evac zone, so we never had to leave. In fact we were honored to house someone who's apartment was a block from the San Marcos fire.

Many small burned areas along the road by our house...embers that luckily didn't survive by some miracle.

We toured some of the safe areas today, and I'll post a couple of pictures later. We're spending the day resting, and counting our blessings!

Glad that things have calmed down, even if slightly. I find it so awful that while CA burns, across the ocean Serbia is under water, the rains won't let up there and whole villages are inundated over a huge area of that country, as well as neighboring countries. Unreal how things go on this planet.

My thoughts go out to you too. I really hope things have continued to calm down and that you, your family and community continue to be safe.

Glad things have changed for the better. I hope your house is as fire wise as it can be for future events that may come your way. And kudos to the firefighters!

Latest posts

Back