Soap testing

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Commander Blaine

Reaction score
Hi all I have a bit of an unusual question, as some of you know I was asking about soap making a whole ago and skin blemishes.

Well a few people close to me have asked if they could try it, however I'm not sure what laws cover this, I read somewhere if I want I sell it, it has to be tested by a toxicologist, but what if I just want to hand it out for free just to a few mates?

Is there anything stopping me, can they come after me if something happens?

Well, are you selling it to them or are they just trying it?

If selling, check out the "business" part of the forum - some good stuff there on the EU side of things (if I recall, you are UK based, aren't you?).

If you are giving it away, just make sure that it is not generally harmful but make sure to tell them that they need to make sure for themselves that it is okay to use - that is, the need to check the ingredients and ensure they are okay with it all.

If you gave a cake that contain nut traces to someone who told you they have a nut allergy, you are to blame. If you tell people there are nuts in there and give the full ingredients list but they don't know that they have a nut allergy, you are not to blame - it was up to them to know.

I've still not had the funds to try it yet, new financial year, new set of bills.

So providing I tell them what is in the soap it should be fine?

I'm not looking to sell it just give some soap to a few mates. See if they like it and all that, the ladies in my class are interested, I just want to cover my butt from a legal stand point don't want it coming back on me ya know.

Print out a list of ingredients and hand it out with the soap. That way, they know what is in it, and the responsibility is on them. You are not making claims for treating anything, right?

Now that I am giving soap to friends, I print a list of ingredients with a short list of questions:

1. How can I make the scent better?

2. How can I make the appearance better?

3. How can I make the lather better?

4. Any other suggestions?

If you ask yes/no questions, that is what you get. Ask concrete questions that require more than, "Its fine."

Last edited:
So as an individual just asking mates to try it I don't need any insurance like liability insurance?

Ok I am currently under the impression that

Providing i provide a list of ingredients to people

I don't need any type of insurance for that and the responsibility is entirely on them, not my own.

Have I got it right so far?

Better be safe than sorry rather double check, re-check and do it all over again than do something blindly.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back