lining a mold

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emilee

Reaction score
lining a mold...

I have rectangular 1cm thick perspex mold and perspex dividers.

I'm having difficulty getting the soap out of the mold, as it suctions itself to the bottom.

I've read before about lining the mold, but I'm not sure what to use?

glad wrap? waxed paper? silicone mat or spray?

any ideas much appreciated.

Emilee said:
lining a mold...

I have rectangular 1cm thick perspex mold and perspex dividers.

I'm having difficulty getting the soap out of the mold, as it suctions itself to the bottom.

I've read before about lining the mold, but I'm not sure what to use?

glad wrap? waxed paper? silicone mat or spray?

any ideas much appreciated.

How many times have you used the mold? Pulling out the dividers was difficult the first few times. My molds are HDPE and it took a few times for them to 'coat' themselves. I think an acrylic mold would be similar. Try using a spray on silicone before you pour. You shouldn't have to line a mold like yours.

On my kelsei slab mold I stretch a piece of glad wrap over the bottom. I also do occasionally wipe the dividers and sides with some mineral oil - but maybe after 5 or 6 batches.

if you don't want to line with freezer paper, quilters mylar works and it is thin enough that it doesn't change the size of your bar by much at all.

i have a couple of molds from for crafts sake that i use the mylar with. course they come completely apart but the mylar makes the soap slide right off.

my kelsei divider mold i stretch a piece of saran wrap over it and then put the sides back on.

i would think that even a piece of freezer paper cut the size of the bottom of the mold would work.

Back