Your fav fragrance oils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lol My list is like Irishlass. But if I had to pick, I could not live without these:

Sweet milk from Indiana Candle supply

OMG Olive, Indian Summer, Sun Moon & Stars, Creamy Coconut and Oatmeal and Honey from Natures Garden.

Green Smoothie, and Cotton Candy from BrambleBerry.

Pink Chiffon and Bergamot from LoneStar Candles

Orchid Sea Salt, and Ginger Saffron from Candlescience.

I tend to like the sweet and exotic/tropical-ish ones. Personally I like the way natures garden FOs behave the most.

I am so confused as to get which ones.. now I understand why you get mad about shipping rates.. they are expensive! Converting them to INR, off the roof!
I'm not in a hurry, so may be I will wait for sale as soapmaker suggested.

How many ounces can/will your friends bring to you? Assuming it's fairly limited (and regular shipping is expensive) it might be best to forego samples and just take a chance on a what you think you might like. Samples don't always tell you what you need to know anyway, and I doubt you'll find a sale on shipping samples to India.

We could help you work through this, to narrow down to a manageable set of FOs that your friends could bring to you.

- What type of scents do you like the most? (citrus, floral, etc)
- What type of products do you want to use them in? (CP, MP, lotions, etc)
- Does anything in particular call to you, and if so, what questions do you have about them?
- Would you rather have numerous small bottles (say 2-4 oz each), or a few bigger bottles?

If your primary purpose is CP, my advice would be to eliminate major accelerators and discolorers, unless you do not (or rarely) use colorants. There are so many behaving FOs to chose from, no need to consider the bad boys during this first round.

How many ounces can/will your friends bring to you? Assuming it's fairly limited (and regular shipping is expensive) it might be best to forego samples and just take a chance on a what you think you might like. Samples don't always tell you what you need to know anyway, and I doubt you'll find a sale on shipping samples to India.

We could help you work through this, to narrow down to a manageable set of FOs that your friends could bring to you.

- What type of scents do you like the most? (citrus, floral, etc)
- What type of products do you want to use them in? (CP, MP, lotions, etc)
- Does anything in particular call to you, and if so, what questions do you have about them?
- Would you rather have numerous small bottles (say 2-4 oz each), or a few bigger bottles?

If your primary purpose is CP, my advice would be to eliminate major accelerators and discolorers, unless you do not (or rarely) use colorants. There are so many behaving FOs to chose from, no need to consider the bad boys during this first round.

Well, here it is
- I like fresh scents and also ones with sweet and floral notes but not completely sweet or full blown florals... not a fan of green and earthy scents.
- I use them in CP.
- I want to try dragon blood as so many of you love it.
- I prefer smaller bottles as I make small 500-1kg batches.

I didn't mean the shipping to India, lol. Sorry if that's what it read like. To my friend's place.

I shop west of the Mississippi to save on shipping costs. FO suppliers I like are Majestic Mountain Sage (Utah); Brambleberry (WA), Pure Fragrance Oils (CA), but I have a few projects in the works and I went "window shopping" today at Elements Bath & Body in CO. I buy containers, waterproof labels, and a few other things, but only recently discovered that their prices for FOs are less expensive than the suppliers mentioned above.

They offer "sample vials" for testing. Here's my list...

Oh my god, Zany! That list sounds incredible! Those are from Elements?

You keep this up and I'm going to be moving into your fragrance cabinet. Or your garage. My vote is the fragrance cabinet though...

I'd be like a little brownie living among the bottles of happiness. Just leave an occasional bowl of milk out.

Well, here it is
- I like fresh scents and also ones with sweet and floral notes but not completely sweet or full blown florals... not a fan of green and earthy scents.
- I use them in CP.
- I want to try dragon blood as so many of you love it.
- I prefer smaller bottles as I make small 500-1kg batches.

I didn't mean the shipping to India, lol. Sorry if that's what it read like. To my friend's place.

FOs can get very expensive when you don't like the scent but they are priceless when you find something you love. I started testing FOs about 2 years ago and I have a large collection. On average, I like about 10% of the FOs I buy. There is a lot of waste.

I can send you some to get you started. You need 1 to 2 oz for your batches. I don't have too many 2 oz bottles but I have plenty of the 1oz ones. Since they will be going on a long plane ride and then through customs, I want to ship in the original supplier packaging just in case. If you are interested, pm me.

FOs can get very expensive when you don't like the scent but they are priceless when you find something you love. I started testing FOs about 2 years ago and I have a large collection. On average, I like about 10% of the FOs I buy. There is a lot of waste.

I can send you some to get you started. You need 1 to 2 oz for your batches. I don't have too many 2 oz bottles but I have plenty of the 1oz ones. Since they will be going on a long plane ride and then through customs, I want to ship in the original supplier packaging just in case. If you are interested, pm me.

Aww.. it is so sweet of you. Will definitely pm you :D

I shop west of the Mississippi to save on shipping costs. FO suppliers I like are Majestic Mountain Sage (Utah); Brambleberry (WA), Pure Fragrance Oils (CA), but I have a few projects in the works and I went "window shopping" today at Elements Bath & Body in CO. I buy containers, waterproof labels, and a few other things, but only recently discovered that their prices for FOs are less expensive than the suppliers mentioned above.

They offer "sample vials" for testing. Here's my list:

Almond Delightful Almond fragrance oil that many claim smells just like Maraschino Cherries.

Antahala Vanilla An intoxicating wild vanilla from the Antahala Valley region of Madagascar with fruity hints of cherry blossom top-notes, subtle orchid and lily middle-notes and an ambery, white musk base-note that lingers all day.

Crystal Sunshine Unique blend of sweet grapefruit combined with the delicate touch of honeysuckle, tones of warm crisp greenery and accented with hints of musk.

Ginger & White Tea This exotic fragrance opens with a burst of ginger flower and fresh Fuji apple, with herbaceous soft middle notes of wild thyme and water lotus and hints of peony blossoms. The dry down is soft whispers of sandalwood and cedar, warmed by vanilla bean.

Lavender in Bloom Herbaceous lavender is the shining star of this stunning blend. It is complimented with soft floral notes, while sweet and woody notes enhance this sophisticated flower.

Meyer Lemon WOW! A truly Lemony-lemon fragrance with the perfect balance of sweet vs. tart. If you've tried other lemon fragrances and been disappointed, this is the one you've been looking for all your life! Opens with a bright, sparkling top-note of lemon, orange and mandarin, leading to middle notes of orange blossom and magnolia blossom and finishing with a woody, white musk nuance.

Pink Petals A romantic breeze of pink geranium kissed with tangy red currant and pomegranate on a bed of powdery peach ambergris and softened with vanilla, amber and sexy musk. I tried a sample and this is the most beautiful rose scent that I ever smelled! I have tried many and been so disappointed. You nailed it with this one!

Salty Sea Air Gentle breezes of salty tang and an ocean freshness so compelling, you can almost hear the waves and seagulls. Opening with an ozonic, sea breeze top-note, followed by notes of cyclamen, water lily and sea kelp, and finishing with a warm musk and driftwood base.

Sea Goddess Crisp and clean fresh air and ocean green top-notes, middle-notes of night blooming jasmine, muguet and mossy-greens and finishing with ambery, musky, cedar-like base-notes.

Sea Island Grapefruit *Votivo Type* The sweetest, crispest and cleanest sun-ripened grapefruit you'll ever smell. Softened with a hint of white orchids, truly a treasure of a fragrance. *Votivo Type*.

Sensual Secrets Finally the perfect blend of sandalwood and vanilla for the customers who have been begging me for it for over a year now, most of them men. Not too sweet, not too woodsy. just right!

Sweetgrass Fresh, clean unisex scent with the perfect green notes. Not "perfume-y" & absolutely fabulous OOB. It's like standing in a field of grass (but not that sharp green lawn grass). This is as close to a true native sweetgrass that I've smelled.

Tart Lemon Lemony-Lemon that is a super tart & tangy fragrance treat that everyone loves! If you are looking for a juicy citrus with a powerful lemony smell, then this one is for you. Pucker up for this "just squeezed" lemon peel essence!

Tropical White Musk Warm and mysterious blend of musk, lily, ylang ylang and amber that come together with peach, oakmoss and a bit of the tropics. This fragrance pairs nicely with our Tuscan Lace.

Yuzu Delightful fresh Japanese Grapefruit with an overtone of brilliant Mandarin, lemon and grapefruit, this is as summer-y as it gets! A very crisp scent, almost seems to bubble in the bottle!

PS: I'm going to check out Mad Oils in AZ next...

****!! I can almost smell the scents..:D

Oh my god, Zany! That list sounds incredible! Those are from Elements?....

I get the feeling the descriptions are copied direct from the Elements website -- they sound a lot like ad copy, not something a real soaper might say. For example, I looked at the Sweetgrass product listing and found the description in Zany's post is close to a word-for-word copy. So take those gushy "incredible" descriptions with a big grain of salt.

Zany -- have you actually USED these FOs? If not, isn't your post rather misleading? The OP wants to know about scents we love, not ones that just sound good on the seller's website.

And to that end, my favorite fragrances are:

Cracklin' Birch (NG) Spice (cinnamon, touch of clove), wood, musk. Unisex, leaning toward masculine. Discolors to golden tan. Accelerates a bit, but this FO is worth using even with a bit of acceleration. Very strong, lasting scent.
Sweetgrass (NG or MMS) Herbal, sweet, grassy. Unisex, leans feminine. No acceleration, no discoloration. Medium strong, lasting scent. The NG FO is slightly sweeter than MMS, but the two are reasonably comparable and interchangeable. I like to blend 2 parts Sweetgrass with 1 part Green Tea.
Green tea (NG or MMS) herb-green, mint, clean, nice tannin undertone. Unisex. No acceleration, no discoloration. Strong, lasting scent. NG and MMS are roughly comparable.
Black Raspberry Vanilla (NG) berry-grape, sweet. Unisex, kids. No acceleration, no discoloration. Very strong, lasting scent.
Dragon's Blood (Carolyn Zaha, cmzaha). wood, spicy, resin, patchouli. Unisex. No acceleration. Medium to dark brown discoloration. Very strong, lasting scent.

I use these at 5% to 6% in CP soap.

Last edited:
I get the feeling the descriptions are copied direct from the Elements website -- they sound a lot like ad copy, not something a real soaper might say. For example, I looked at the Sweetgrass product listing and found the description in Zany's post is close to a word-for-word copy. So take those gushy "incredible" descriptions with a big grain of salt.

Zany -- have you actually USED these FOs? If not, isn't your post rather misleading? The OP wants to know about scents we love, not ones that just sound good on the seller's website.

I'm sure Zany didn't intend for the descriptions to be taken as her own. She was just making it so we didn't have to go hunt them down ourselves at Elements' site. :thumbup:

I agree with DeeAnna. Very misleading if they haven't actually been tested. I've found many many fragrance descriptions that sounded good but failed terribly

Some of my favorites are:
NG- Cracklings Birch, Perfect Man, Sweet Orange Chili Pepper, Love Spell, Vanilla Champagne and Mango Sorbet

Rustic Escentuals- Lemon Verbena

Wholesale Supplies Plus- Vanilla Bean Noel

Peak - Black Raspberry Vanilla and Pink Sugar

There are others I can't think of right now.

Back