Found some palm I had forgotten I had

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arthur Dent

Reaction score
Cleaning out the room in which I store all my "soaping stuff" I found a couple of tubs of Spectrum brand 100% palm oil shortening. One tub is about a month past the "best sold by" date, the other has several months to go. I had forgotten I had these (obviously).:crazy:
I have been planning to make a batch of "Susie's Favorite" as soon as some new scents come in, maybe I'll make two batches, one subbing palm for the lard, just to see what kind of difference it makes (recalculating for the palm of course). I have never soaped with palm before.
The older tub should be ok shouldn't it? It is still sealed, never opened.

I'd be comfortable using it, especially if a good sniff didn't reveal any "off" odor. It's almost certainly fine to use.

I didn't soap for five years and then began again. I had Shea butter, Grapeseed Oil, Castor Oil, and a few others that were five years old. They all smelled okay so I used them with no adverse effect. I figure if it smells good, it's still good. And they were stored in a cool place inside a large plastic tote. So maybe being in the dark had something to do with it. I don't know, but it worked for me.

Rancidity is oxidation. If the containers were never opened you shouldn't have a problem. The plastic is somewhat permeable, but I don't think that would be a problem. I'd use it.

Back