Patchoulli Oil Question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leapinglizards

Reaction score
OK, so, I was looking at the IFRA sheet for the WSP and ALL the slots say NO LIMIT.

So, does that mean A- You are not supposed to ever use it? B- There is no limit and you can use it in any strength C- the IFRA sheet has a mistake?

Thanks to anyone who can help with an answer. Or if YOU use it, how much do you usually use in CP soap?

I use it regularly. Like most fragrance, I find about a Tbsp per lb of soap. It's a bit woodsy, so I like to mix it with something with a brighter note like citrus or even something floral. For a 4 lb batch, I'd probably use 2 Tbsp of patchouli EO and 2 Tbsp or either Orange 5x EO or maybe Lemongrass EO.

I use it regularly too - I also use Patchouli at 1TBS/LB of soap.

I make a Patch soap all on its own - for those who ask for it, because I do get asked.
And another soap also with Orange.

I use it at 3% of total oil weight and it works great.
It is important to get it from a reputable supplier though, there is a lot of poor quality patchouli on the market, which really does have a nasty scent to it instead of an earthy, dark, slightly sweet odour.

There are no known precautions for using it, but anything over 3% is probably overkill anyway.
I like to incorporate it into my soap on it's own, because I'm biased - I just love the smell of it.

It is considered a base note, and will blend well with most citrus essential oils, lavender, eucalyptus, jasmine and more.

I use Dark Indonesian Patchouli, not this particular as I do not like theirs at all, at 6% or 1 oz ppo. Most of my customers like strong scents

I used the exact same - indonesian dark - for my last patchouli soap, I'm not overly happy with it.

Latest posts

Back