Cupcake Bath Bomb Frosting

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaccart789

Reaction score
Can anyone answer my question...is it normal that the frosting on my cupcake bath bomb developed some kind of mold or bacteria? I used the typical meringue and distilled water that every cupcake bomb calls for. It makes sense that it would develop some crud because of the water in the recipe and no preservative but why would anyone use this? What is the shelf life? Almost every soap maker makes these, any expertise or thoughts would be very helpful! Thank you!

I have no experience making bath bombs, but I looked up a recipe for a cupcake bath-bomb and saw that it had water as an ingredient. I have read a few threads and sites state that anything with water in it needed a preservative. This Bramble Berry Article says the same thing: anything being made with water need a preservative. I hope this helps

Meringue Powder consists mainly of dried egg-white ....
That + water asks for a preservative.
Perhaps you're even adding tapioca starch or Corn starch; both need preservatives too.

As an alternative for the frosted meringue topping, you could make a whipped soap one, or one from Foaming Bath Butter with MP.

Thank you for answering. I just can't understand why soapers would make these if there is a chance for bacteria. I appreciate your answers!

Thank you for answering. I just can't understand why soapers would make these if there is a chance for bacteria. I appreciate your answers!

Perhaps because a lot of sugar is added and/or surfactants,they might think it's safe.Or they just follow what they find on the internet, assuming it's okay.I usually choose for a soap topping; then you have a two-in-one: bath bomb and a longer lasting soap to wash with. :)

That is a really good idea Eucalypta! I actually got my cupcake recipe from "Soap Queen" and she knows the ins and outs of soaping, but Oh well the mystery goes on... I appreciate the advice!

Latest posts

Back