Help to make better body butter

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ann Marie

Reaction score
Hi!

I made my first body butter with this recipe:

Sweet Almond Oil, Chamaemelum nobile extract, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Evening Primrose Oil, Tapioca Starch, Fragrance, Tocopherol

It whipped up nicely but I don't notice that it smoothes or moisturizes my skin as well as an emulsified butter or lotion...is there any way I can make it penetrate the skin better or is this just the nature of whipped body butters?

Most body butters have either Shea, Cocoa, Mango or other butter blend. I make a whipped shea butter but have never use hydrogenated vegetable oil. Other body butters are made with emulsifiers. You may want to check out swiftcraftymonkey.com as she has a load of helpful information on all things bath and body.

Most body butters have either Shea, Cocoa, Mango or other butter blend. I make a whipped shea butter but have never use hydrogenated vegetable oil. Other body butters are made with emulsifiers. You may want to check out swiftcraftymonkey.com as she has a load of helpful information on all things bath and body.

do you feel like the shea butter sinks into your skin? or notice much difference after using it?

I made mine with:
Hard oils: 2 oz shea & 2 oz mango
Coconut oil - 4 oz
Soft oils: 3 oz lavender infused hemp oil, 1 oz jojoba
added some ROE and Vit E oil as antioxidants, and lavender EO

Its green and I adore it. I made such a small amount that I couldnt whip it in the stand mixer - I just cooled it in the fridge and whacked at it with the stick blender. It goes on shiney and you think its going to be greasy, and then it just sinks in. In our 100+ degree heat wave it has melted back to a liquid, should have put it in the fridge :)

I made mine with:
Hard oils: 2 oz shea & 2 oz mango
Coconut oil - 4 oz
Soft oils: 3 oz lavender infused hemp oil, 1 oz jojoba
added some ROE and Vit E oil as antioxidants, and lavender EO

This is very similar to the recipe that I used. I really like it also. It makes my skin feel great and not greasy.

lotioncrafter has this excellent formula for emulsified body butter. i have tried it (with a bit of tweaking) and i'm in looooveeeee with it. it is supposed to be the dupe of body shop's body butter.

i personally don't like whipped body butter. too heavy, too greasy. an emulsified one is the way to go for me.

I love using Shea and Mango in my whipped butters. I tried lanolin but it caused it to be more sticky than I liked. I also add some IPM which helps with the greasiness. I love my whipped butter with argan and meadowfoam seed oil in it.

My recipe is really simple. 14oz shea, 3 oz coconut and 2 ounce liquid oil of your choice. Its quite greasy at first but soaks in well after a few minutes. Also keep in mind that whipped butter really isn't a moisturizer, its more of a barrier to hold in the moisture already in your skin and keep it from drying out more.
Try using your body butter after a shower when your skin is good and moisturized (water is moist, thats what dry skin needs). When I'm really dry, I use a highly moisturizing lotion followed up by a little body butter.

A bit of info on the subject http://dermnetnz.org/treatments/emollients.html

Last edited:
When I'm really dry, I use a highly moisturizing lotion followed up by a little body butter.

That is my wintertime regimen. Light lotion then body butter. I buy the multibase lotion that does not contain petrolatum or mineral oil, then thin it down as much as possible. I need all the water I can get into my skin.

lotioncrafter has this excellent formula for emulsified body butter. i have tried it (with a bit of tweaking) and i'm in looooveeeee with it. it is supposed to be the dupe of body shop's body butter.

i personally don't like whipped body butter. too heavy, too greasy. an emulsified one is the way to go for me.

Seven, thank you. I tried to look up lotioncrafter and couldn't find her/him :(. Is there another way to find that recipe?

Thanks so much!!!!

look under formularies... its called body butter bliss :)

lotioncrafter.com >>> formulary>>> body butter bliss

good luck :)

Last edited:
Seawolfe,

If I wanted to make a 8 oz jar of your recipe for the whipped body butter, how do you know how much of all ingredients to use?? And why is your butter green?? lol

Seawolfe,

If I wanted to make a 8 oz jar of your recipe for the whipped body butter, how do you know how much of all ingredients to use?? And why is your butter green?? lol

You want to make 2/3 of the recipe (8oz instead of 12) so 2/3 of 100% is 66.66. Take each amount times 66.66 percent and you'll have your amounts.

For this recipe it works out as below. (Rounding to make exactly 8 oz) Note also that the vitamin E and other antioxidents as well as the EO will increase the amount slightly, but negligibly.

1.33shea, 1.33 mango
2.67 coconut
2oz soft oil
.67 jojoba

Hope that helped

Last edited:
What is a normal batch amount?? What size jars do you put the whipped body butter in?? Do you think I should buy a kit first or just get the butters and go for it. lol

Kathie

Might as well try it. Her recipe doesn't contain water so it should be fairly simple to whip up. I wouldn't buy a kit for body butter unless you have no supplies and don't plan on making it again soon, but all of the ingredients are used in other things we make anyway.

Dorymae, how much do you make at one time. And I am going to forego the kit idea. I probably do have some of the ingredients already. thank you.

Kathie

Latest posts

Back