Why is my balm gritty?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soapandco

Reaction score
I have been having this gritty balm issue for a long time. No matter how long I put the beeswax in the double boiler, the end result will be gritty balm. I even tried using the microwave oven to heat it, but still not smooth... does anyone have this problem with balms? This happened even for simple recipe like 10% beeswax, 20% shea, 70% sweet almond oil/other oils....

Thanks, I didn't know it was the shea, always thought that the beeswax wasn't completely melted.

I tried it today with my shea tempered, and it is the smoothest balm I have ever made.. Thanks guys! I notice a hole on top of the balm instead of smooth surface, I am not sure if it is because I put it in the fridge

Just fill your tubes 2/3-3/4 full, cool, then remelt what is in your cup, and top off each tube. That gives a nice, smooth top.

I am not sure why that happens, either, but that happens to about half of my tubes.

Just fill your tubes 2/3-3/4 full, cool, then remelt what is in your cup, and top off each tube. That gives a nice, smooth top.

I am not sure why that happens, either, but that happens to about half of my tubes.

Thanks! That's a great tip!

It is most likely the shea butter. It will sometimes turn gritty and have to be tempered before using.
How long do you temper it? And I am guessing “temper” means leaving it on the stove and keep it heating?

Back