Grainy lip balm

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ann Marie

Reaction score
Hi!

I made a bunch of lip balm that i liked in the moment. I went on vacation and was in the sun a lot and my lip balm was very grainy and melted more than I imagined. this is the recipe I used:

Mango butter, Cocoa Butter, beeswax, castor & avocado oil, vit e, flavor oil.

what can I do to avoid graininess in my next batches and how can I empty out the ones i made? Or what should I do with the 50 I already made?

thanks so much for the help!

A higher percentage of beeswax or other wax will help to stop the melting. I'm not sure what is causing the graininess but I suspect one of the butters. I know Shea will go grainy, I'm not sure about mango or cocoa butter.

Mango can go grainy, too. At least mine does (or did). Especially if the balm melts in hot weather and resolidifies. You can prevent it the grainies from occurring by adding ButterEZ to your formula at a usage rate of anywhere between 10% to 20% of your total butter amount. ButterEZ can be found at LotionCrafter: http://www.lotioncrafter.com/butterez-trade.html I use it in all my balms that contain butters and it works great.

IrishLass :)

Latest posts

Back