Question aboutr emu oil in soap.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SunRiseArts

Reaction score
Have anyone here use it?

I found an unopened jar in my bath cabinet. However, it has other things. The ingredients list says:
emu oil
lecithin
soybean oil
lanolin
beeswax
papaya enzyme
BHA
BHT

What do you all think? Can I use it in a recipe? IS only a 2 oz jar, and I guess I would consider it a hard oil...

I have a couple of reasons for not using Emu, in lotions and balm. You really could use it. I would go with the Soybean for the Sap since SB oil and Emu are very close, unless it is a lanolin based product. BHT and Bha will help stop dos, lecithin is used as a thickener/emulsifier so it will not hurt anything. Papaya Enzyme is used as a whitener and lanolin as an emollient. Since beeswax and lanolin has such low sap I would not worry about them to much but not go with a high superfat, unless one of them are first on the list. It not really going to add anything to the soap but gives you the satisfactions of using up the product. Just do not make a batch with high priced oils since you are dealing with some unknowns.

A few years ago I had some Beeswax/lanolin based balms that would not sell so I scooped them out and added them to soap. I superfat low so it worked out fine.

Ditto what Carolyn said, you can soap it to use it up. However, IMHO, soaping it would be a terrible waste of what looks to be an excellent product! Personally? I would just use it as is. Emu oil is known to be good for relieving the pain of arthritis. Test it first by smearing a bit on the inside of your elbow to see how it feels. If it feels good, and there's no redness or rash 24 hours later, your feet might like it -- (see my "Happy Toes" avatar) -- you'll be sandal-ready in no time a'tall!

HTH :bunny:

Last edited:
Yes Zany, that is exactly it!

My feet are always sandal ready though! HAHA! I have a thing about keeping my hands and feet always.

Back