Playing with colours that shouldn't be put in soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yesterday I distracted myself from soaping, by playing with some artist powders on a thin sheet of soap to see what happens (not for use, just for play).

This is my favourite so far ... it's bronze powder (ground up copper and tin). It's still morphing ... originally it was a magnicient gold, then it turned this green as the lye converted the copper to copper hydroxide.

I won't be using the bronze powder in soap for use, but I do adore the effect.

OxidisedCopperPowder.jpg

Wow, that is really beautiful. I'd be interested in seeing some of the other morphing colors.

Thanks CaraBou.

Most of the others are fairly ugly (I can make "murky" in so many different ways :mrgreen:).

I am looking for blues and purples and will be visiting the art supply shop next week and redoing the experiment after that. I'll post any pretties or interesting morphs here, hopefully in the next week or two.

I have some ideas, but suggestions (they don't have to be safe) are welcome!

Okay, did anyone ever try other non-soap colorants?

I once tried liquid fabric dye in soap. Then I figured it would not be good to give that to people so kept it to myself.

I tried Food Coloring and Cake Colorants, but at least I know they are probably skin safe because they can be consumed.

I wonder what would happen if you used some of the glass coloring oxides, like Manganese dioxide, Cobalt , or Didymium..

Ooooh, thanks for those. I hadn't even thought of looking at the field of glass making for ideas. Thanks WeaversPort!

Zany_in_CO, I don't know that it would go so well on a wall, but what a funny thought :)

earlene, I haven't ever tried food colours. Did you like the effect?

Disclaimer - I am not advocating using soap with strange things in, but I reckon a bit of art play isn't so bad sometimes :mrgreen:.

Ooooh, thanks for those. I hadn't even thought of looking at the field of glass making for ideas. Thanks WeaversPort!

Zany_in_CO, I don't know that it would go so well on a wall, but what a funny thought :)

Disclaimer - I am not advocating using soap with strange things in, but I reckon a bit of art play isn't so bad sometimes :mrgreen:.

If you do, please post pictures. I'm now full of curiosity as to how it turns out!

All in the name of science, of course ;)

In a fairly translucent soap, the light pastels of the food coloring looked nice. I used an ITP swirl. The colors actually held up and lasted the life of the soap, which I used the last of at about a little over a year. I actually expected them to fade, but they never did.

I've only used them in soap the once. I was looking for brighter colors, so moved on to other things.

I wonder what would happen if you used some of the glass coloring oxides, like Manganese dioxide, Cobalt , or Didymium..

I found a Manganese based colour (it's a really pretty violet colour in powder form), so I've got that one to try in the next day or two :mrgreen:.

I'll post pics soon.

earlene, did your food colouring soaps have coloured bubbles?

I found a Manganese based colour (it's a really pretty violet colour in powder form), so I've got that one to try in the next day or two :mrgreen:.

I'll post pics soon.

No, they did not. However, when we (granddaughter & I) use Food Coloring in Bath Bombs, the goal is to color the water, and in that case it does. Funny isn't it? (At home I don't use FC in Bath Bombs, but this last time I traveled, I didn't have any colorants except Black Oxide with me by the time I got to her house.) :)

A manganese based color, that sounds interesting. I await your results.

I'll post pics soon.

Ooohhh!! I'm excited to see how it turns out!

I tried to use neon pink food color for the black challenge of March to mix with the black, and looked beautiful, but my soap never set. I even tried to rebatch and it was totally ruined. I know my recipe was right. Never will I ever use food color again.... It was either the food color, or the safflower oil. :headbanging:

Maganese Violet ... gave me another brown. :cry:

I did notice that it stayed the pretty pink colour in the pure fat, changed slightly towards brown in a very heavily superfatted soap and became quite brown in a strong lye soap. It got darker as there was more lye, with the strongest solution making a deep, warm brown.

I did also try Phthalo Blue - this hardly morphed at all, which I suppose is interesting in itself.

I'll be putting this test series aside for a bit while I focus on some other things, but I'll post to it again if I get anything interesting.

Still, these colours will be good for painting (their real purpose - my arty relative is delighted)..

Colour test magnesium violet.png

I have noticed that some blues smell absolutely foul when used in bath bombs. I wonder what it is that the manganese violet and these blues may have in common? I wish I could tell you what I was using when I discovered that, but it was a year or two ago and I don't think I kept adequate notes on the issue. It may have been a liquid colorant or it may have been a mica; I really don't remember.

Latest posts

Back