Adding Sugar When Using Wine/Beer/Purees?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KristaY

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started adding sugar to my recipes about 6 months ago and love the lather. Today I'm making beer and wine soap and wondering if the sugar is necessary or smart. Since beer, wine and fruit/veggie purees already have natural sugars, is the extra a good idea? Do I run the risk of a lye volcano by having too much sugar?

Thanks DeeAnna! That was pretty much my thought too. I haven't had beer/wine/puree soap volcano or crack so far and I'd really like to keep it that way :lol:. I have had a lye volcano though and REALLY don't want to do that ever again as it's pretty dang scary! I think I'll stay on the safe path and not add the extra sugar.

With my beer soaps, the desired color determines whether or not I add sugar or honey. Honey makes it much darker than white sugar, and if I wanted it even lighter, I don't add any sugar. The lather is still great with beer soap, even with no additional sugar.

Back