I am out of Olive Oil, Can I sub it out wit another?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omneya

Reaction score
Okay, So my daughter has been using my olive oil on her veggies in the oven. She needs this kind of diet, so now I am out of Olive oil ( I have about a cup of it left (for her).
Can I make soap with out it? What would I sub it out with?
Any help is much appreciated and Thank you in advance
:bunny:

I say a combo of the three (odd choice, I know). But I only say this because high amounts of rice bran and avocado oils can be risky, depending on your environment. The HO safflower oil is the safest bet.
Thanks, I already have Ricebran in my recipe so maybe a break up my amount of Olive oil in my recipe and use hald and half of the other two oils?
Also what do you mean by environment?
:headbanging:

Thanks, I already have Ricebran in my recipe so maybe a break up my amount of Olive oil in my recipe and use hald and half of the other two oils?
Also what do you mean by environment?
:headbanging:

I meant how your home and/or general climate is. the environment where your soaps are stored can affect how or even if your soaps develop DOS. For example, this past summer, because I'm from an area with high humidity in the summer, I found that summer soaping was NOT a smart idea and that the humidity affected how long my soaps had to cure. I also found that humidity turned a select group of my soaps into weepy bars of blech and they were NOT salt bars.

I have been looking everywhere here in Texas for rice bran oil. Cannot find it. I have been at Kroger's, market street, Walmart, and aldi..... Where do you guys get yours?

I'm sometimes able to find rice bran oil at my local health-food store, but since it's not something that's always kept in stock there, I buy it online.

IrishLass :)

I meant how your home and/or general climate is. the environment where your soaps are stored can affect how or even if your soaps develop DOS. For example, this past summer, because I'm from an area with high humidity in the summer, I found that summer soaping was NOT a smart idea and that the humidity affected how long my soaps had to cure. I also found that humidity turned a select group of my soaps into weepy bars of blech and they were NOT salt bars.

Oh. Okay/ My oils are in a wooden Cabinet in my home that is always cold. I keep it just as cold in the summer.
This is just temporary till I can get my hands on some olive oil. But I guess it is good to know. Thank you:):smile:

If you can't find the oils that were suggested, you could maybe try something completly different (ie. lard, unless you're opposed to it), maybe you would like it ?

If you can't find the oils that were suggested, you could maybe try something completly different (ie. lard, unless you're opposed to it), maybe you would like it ?
Oh I have Lard and Tallow. I didn't know they could replace the OO in a recipe.

Oh I have Lard and Tallow. I didn't know they could replace the OO in a recipe.

I don't believe beard guy was suggesting to replace olive with palm or tallow, but just that you can always try a completely different kind of formula. :)

Lard and/or tallow won't produce the same results in soap as olive oil. Unlike olive oil, they are high in stearic acid and palmitic acid and work best as replacements for palm. If you want the same kind of results as olive oil in your soap, I'd go with the HO safflower oil.

I don't believe beard guy was suggesting to replace olive with palm or tallow, but just that you can always try a completely different kind of formula. :)

Lard and/or tallow won't produce the same results in soap as olive oil. Unlike olive oil, they are high in stearic acid and palmitic acid and work best as replacements for palm. If you want the same kind of results as olive oil in your soap, I'd go with the HO safflower oil.

Oh, okay. So a completely different recipe. I just thought OO is in every soap and I was screwed.

That would be horrible! Thankfully, you can go without olive oil- it doesn't need to be present in every soap. :) The reason why you see it listed in so many recipes is because it's such a popular, easily accessible soaping oil....and it also lends a nice touch of gentleness to a formula. Other oils can add gentleness, too, but many of them tend to be either more expensive and/or harder to find than olive oil.

Oh I have not check sprouts! Will check there today.

There used to be an oil and vinegar only store near the mall, but they closed down :(

Latest posts

Back