Heavy lye soap bits won't dissolve when attempting fix via rebatch

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

techiemeka

Reaction score
So I had a bad soap day ... Citric acid added to oils instead of disolved in water first (it burns when melting oil, don't do it) and then a miscalc of the addtl lye needed to counter act the CA (used 1gm CA x 6.24gm lye, instead of the 10 x 6.24 -and yes I do know better) ....

So because a small batch (700gm oils) the transition from oils to rock hard Popsicle on a stick happened almost instantly. I managed to break up the pieces of the 'soap' into shards (it was almost like glass) and then started to rebatch by adding water and the missing CA. I put it all in a pan and in the oven (200'f) for many many hours. Approx 90% of the lye heavy soap disolved but I still have a few shards of the lye heavy soap (easy to notice as it was uncoloured and I had added pink clay to the rebatch mix) that will not dissolve (even when soaking my original mixing pots for cleaning, some of the lye did not dissolve).

I was hoping to save this small batch but now thinking its a waste ... But that aside, what is happening that is causing bits of this lye heavy soap to not dissolve? Curious .... Thx.

Sometimes small hard bits just don't like the melt. This is why I grate my soap before rebatching and I add more liquid then most people do, it can help sometimes.
I would probably cut my losses and toss the batch. I like to save soap when I can but if there are lye heavy bits, the soap is unsafe to use.

My favorite way to rebatch: Preheat oven to 250°F. Grate soap. Add to large stainless steel pot. Cover and put it in the oven for 1 hour. At the end of the hour, it should be molten. Give it a stir and mold it up. That being said, I think it might be best to calculate the total amount of CA you added. Check it against what it should be. If it's more than 0.624 %, then the "glass shards" may be a result of separation. :confused: Or... Maybe test the pH? If it's acidic, then adding a bit more NaOH might help. I'm not about to do the math. LOL NOT my strong suit.

HTH :bunny:

Back