Soap Texture question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm new! *bow* I was cruising the forums, trying to find an answer to my question so that I didn't repost a silly question but I couldn't find anything. So, here it is.

I recently purchased handmade soap at our RennFaire, and the texture was amazing. It was sandalwood and eucalyptus, and the texture of the bar itself was rough and lovely, with a very home-made, organic feel to it. I'm assuming they used CP to make it. I have an MP kit that I purchased at a craft store just to get started to see if I even like making soap, and my first bar came out really slick and smooth. The texture was nothing like the one I purchased at the faire.

Now, I'm assuming this is because I bought a generic MP kit, but is there anyway to get a glycerin bar to the same texture as CP? Part of the reason I'm obsessed with handmade soap is the texture is soooooooo nice. *drools a bit*

Thanks in advance! :wink:

You can achieve something similar by waiting until your soap starts to set and then whip it - it will be almost solid - you add that on top of a first layer and spritz it with alcohol and drizzle more melted base on top.

See the soap with the top pink layer on the left?
dsc0059ln.jpg

Big picture LOL

If you're not adding anything to your mp, it's going to have a glossyish (is that a word?LOL) appearance.
If you rebatch it, it will be slightly less glossy. Or if you add powders to it, it becomes less glossy.

@Catmehndi, those soaps look amazing! But when I said rough texture, I didn't mean an uneven, wavey top. The glycerin bars I got in the MP kit are very smooth, like soap you would buy from a main brand like Dove or Irish Spring. I was wondering if there was anything I could add to the MP soap to give it a more porous texture. It's hard to describe, and I don't have a picture of the bar because I used it all up.

I'm thinking it's a result of the CP process, like soapbuddy said.

@Genny: isn't MP rebatching the soap anyway? Or can rebatching only be done once FO/EO/etc have been added?

Latest posts

Back