EO's Vs. Extracts

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scout

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what is the difference between them? What would be the different uses? I looked at Swifts blog and couldn't find an entry on that subject. Lots of great info on them though. I mainly just make RTCP soap and solid scrubs. Thanks for any help! :D

scout said:
Can anyone tell me what is the difference between them? What would be the different uses? I looked at Swifts blog and couldn't find an entry on that subject. Lots of great info on them though. I mainly just make RTCP soap and solid scrubs. Thanks for any help! :D

extracts are made with alcohols where the compounds (flavanoids etc..) are extracted from the plant material using alcohol (a solvent), while EO is pure essential oil and usually extracted from plant matter using some manner of distillation process (so theyre much more pure)

Anything with alcohol in it shouldnt be used for soaping as it can potentially cause your batch to seize! :)

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the info. I guess I have been lucky so far as I have made two batches of aloe and calendula using calendula extract and neither have siezed. I added the extract at trace and immediately poured into the mold.

Back