Lye Overnight

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dalsignum

Reaction score
seriously whats the difference between using "overnight lye" and the lye just made by now? i know one of it is the temperature.. other than that? anything else?

By "overnight lye" do you mean a lye solution made some time in the past for whatever reason? If so, you're right -- there's no difference other than temperature.

Be sure to store the lye solution in a tightly closed container to minimize air (and ensure safety). Carbon dioxide in the air will react with NaOH to form soda ash. Soda ash forms white "floaters" on top of the lye solution. They're harmless and don't need to be removed before using the lye solution, but this reaction will gradually reduce the concentration of NaOH in the solution, and it's good to minimize that problem. Also water vapor in the air will also be absorbed by the lye solution, again reducing the concentration of NaOH in the lye solution.

Matters are slightly different if you're using a masterbatch approach to making lye solution ahead of time. The usual thing is to make a 50% concentration of NaOH as the masterbatched lye solution. Then you dilute the lye solution to the desired concentration before using it to make soap. If you always use a specific lye concentration, you could just masterbatch at that lye concentration. I'd say most soapers who masterbatch will make a 50% solution and then dilute to the desired concentration -- that gives a person more flexibility to make different types of soap recipes.

Yes, you are right -- this is one way to cool the lye solution to room temperature before using it in soap.

Making lye solution in advance can also be about convenience. I often make enough lye solution for several batches of soap in advance. This means I can have fun making soap whenever I want to without spending the extra time to make the lye solution too.

Making lye solution in advance can also be about convenience. I often make enough lye solution for several batches of soap in advance. This means I can have fun making soap whenever I want to without spending the extra time to make the lye solution too.
How long is a reasonable amount of time for storing it? Should it be used within days? weeks? a month? TIA :)

How long is a reasonable amount of time for storing it? Should it be used within days? weeks? a month? TIA :)

Assuming it is stored in a sealed container, I don't know that there is a time limit. I mean, a year is probably excessive. There are folks here who masterbatch their lye water in big jugs or even tanks.

I've experimented with storing certain amounts of my 50/50 master-batched lye for over a year to see how well they keep, and can 100% say that they keep very well. :thumbup:

I store the solution in tightly covered, reclaimed laundry detergent bottles made of HDPE, and I weigh the filled bottles before storing away, making sure to mark the weight and date on the bottle. When I go to use any of it later on, I weigh it again right before dispensing any of it out. If the weight matches what I wrote on the bottle before storing it away, all is good. To date- the weights have always matched, and there have been absolutely no issues at all when I've made soap with them.

IrishLass :)

I like to make a masterbatch at least a day ahead of soap making day. So far the most I have been making is a gallon jug at a time with a 50/50% solution.

I need to make at least 2-3 gallons at a time but haven't found the right container yet. Looked at 5 gallon and 2.5 gallon carboys and ended up buying the 2.5 gallon to test out with water. Its got a spigot that doesn't leak but unfortunately it moves from side to side so looking for another container. A large hard plastic laundry detergent bottle is just not big enough for what I need and a gallon jug is way too small.

I like to make a masterbatch at least a day ahead of soap making day. So far the most I have been making is a gallon jug at a time with a 50/50% solution.

I need to make at least 2-3 gallons at a time but haven't found the right container yet. Looked at 5 gallon and 2.5 gallon carboys and ended up buying the 2.5 gallon to test out with water. Its got a spigot that doesn't leak but unfortunately it moves from side to side so looking for another container. A large hard plastic laundry detergent bottle is just not big enough for what I need and a gallon jug is way too small.

Have you looked at Uline?

https://www.uline.com/BL_8169/Carboys

https://www.uline.com/BL_8174/F-Style-Jugs

Be careful with containers (carboys) that have a spigot -- ones like the first link in Susie's post. The spigot is screwed onto the container and there are usually seals on one or both sides of the container wall to make the connection liquid tight. The spigot itself may also have internal seals or O-rings on the valve stem -- some do, some don't. The seals are not necessarily resistant to alkali. Sometimes the spigot is not the same plastic as the container and may not be alkali resistant either. Just need to double check.

I'd be more comfortable with the "F style jugs" in Susie's second link. The cap is not continually immersed in the liquid, so fewer chances for leaks and drips. That means it's not quite as convenient to use, but I'll trade convenience for safety when we're talking about lye solution. (You could also store a carboy so the valve faces up when it's not in use for added safety.)

The link to the carboy is the exact one I got from Uline. I may try the other jug from the 2nd link. Not sure if I missed or was looking for one with a spigot at the time.

The carboys are nice but the spigot on mine moves from side to side. I spilled water when I was trying to use it so I will not use it for my lye solution.

You can stand the carboy up so it won't have constant contact with the lye. But I was very concerned with the spigot moving so am only using it for chilling water in the fridge. For that it is awesome because it holds 2.5 gallons and is super easy to fill and is super thin so it doesn't take up much room.

But for my lye I will be getting something like the F style container.

I am still considering the 5 gallon carboy for batching oils. That would hold 40 lbs of oil. Might be nice. But I go through 35-40 lbs in one day's soapmaking so even that would be too small. Sigh...

I don't know if it was just a cheap bottle that I used, but I found that the cap of my laundry liquid bottle didn't hold up too well - it cracked on the edges a little which then broke the seal and it started to get weaker over time. The lids were more like a clear-coloured plastic, so I think it wasn't up to the job, then being in constant contact with some lye drips on the edge of the bottle caused it to wear through. Just something to consider when you find a bottle.

I am still considering the 5 gallon carboy for batching oils. That would hold 40 lbs of oil. Might be nice. But I go through 35-40 lbs in one day's soapmaking so even that would be too small. Sigh...

Holy moly Candybee - that's a lot of soap!

Hey - why aren't you posting pics??
:problem:

I've experimented with storing certain amounts of my 50/50 master-batched lye for over a year to see how well they keep, and can 100% say that they keep very well. :thumbup:

I found a bottle I had poured some in, because I apparently ran out of time to soap it and stored it in my service porch. I recently ran across the bottle which had enough for a batch so I did a test batch with it and it was fine. Mine was 3 yrs old. It was in a HDPE dry NaOH bottle which I marked with weight, date and NaOH. It still weighed the same

I store the solution in tightly covered, reclaimed laundry detergent bottles made of HDPE, and I weigh the filled bottles before storing away, making sure to mark the weight and date on the bottle. When I go to use any of it later on, I weigh it again right before dispensing any of it out. If the weight matches what I wrote on the bottle before storing it away, all is good. To date- the weights have always matched, and there have been absolutely no issues at all when I've made soap with them.

IrishLass :)

I batch 2-3 gallons at a time and just use a time and store each in their own reclaimed dish detergent bottles. I simply do not like handling large containers of lye and do not trust spigots not to leak. If it was a large commercial stainless storage tank that would be different but it would be in a commercial setting :) Even then leaks happen

Latest posts

Back