This Show...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I usually watch my PBS stuff online (then cast it to the TV). It is free to access as long as you sign in using your closest PBS station. You may not be able to binge on a season unless you catch it during the season, but the episodes normally stay up for the whole season.

http://www.pbs.org/

Victoria is still up if you hurry, just scroll to the bottom of the home page. OH, and they are having an encore season of Wolf Hall!!! And To Walk Invisible looks awesome!

Susie, when I click on it, I get a screen that says that the video is only available if you become a member. And then you have the option of signing up, which you have to pay for, or signing in, if you're already a member. :( I'm already paying enough for TV, I can't justify spending more.

Try just signing in. I promise you that I have never once paid for that, nor have I ever (I know, shame on me!) donated to PBS.

Or, try going in through your local PBS station. It is Houston Public Media (KUHT, I think) for me. I can click on programs, then Downton Abbey, then when Downton Abbey comes up, click the Masterpiece logo.

Try just signing in. I promise you that I have never once paid for that, nor have I ever (I know, shame on me!) donated to PBS.

Or, try going in through your local PBS station. It is Houston Public Media (KUHT, I think) for me. I can click on programs, then Downton Abbey, then when Downton Abbey comes up, click the Masterpiece logo.

Tried that, still no go. Maybe each station handles it differently? I still get the screen telling me I need to sign up for Passport. I just can't spend another penny on TV. I'm trying desperately to get rid of cable, I've checked into all the other alternatives, but none of them carry the Discovery Channel, which is a deal breaker for me, so I have to keep cable until I can find some way to get DC. Until then, I just can't spend more. Thanks to you and BG for your help. :)

I don't have time for TV but I do binge listen to podcasts while I do 7 and 10-hr shifts washing dishes at a local bar and grill. Currently I'm listening to 'Expanded Perspectives' which is a very entertaining podcast by two guys in Texas who talk about stuff like Bigfoot/crypto, UFOs, ancient American history (pre Columbus), and lots of other different things like the Nazi Bell and Oak Island, etc.. They interview lots of different people about lots of different things too. I go through 6-8 shows during a shift. Luckily for me they put one out per week starting in 2013 so I have lots to go!

I don't have time for TV but I do binge listen to podcasts while I do 7 and 10-hr shifts washing dishes at a local bar and grill. Currently I'm listening to 'Expanded Perspectives' which is a very entertaining podcast by two guys in Texas who talk about stuff like Bigfoot/crypto, UFOs, ancient American history (pre Columbus), and lots of other different things like the Nazi Bell and Oak Island, etc.. They interview lots of different people about lots of different things too. I go through 6-8 shows during a shift. Luckily for me they put one out per week starting in 2013 so I have lots to go!

When you're ready for something new, look for The Thrilling Adventure Hour. It's skits in the style of old-time radio shows. There are years and years of back episodes and the cast is PHENOMENAL!

Currently I am bingeing Mad Dogs. I just finished Mozart in the Jungle and This is Us. Regular shows I am watching are The Walking Dead, Humans, and Survivor. Ever since I got my roku stick and discovered 'binge' watching TV shows I have really gotten into it and prefer that over live TV now. Problem is it can really steal time and once all my markets kick in in April I won't have time to binge watch except for a couple hours in the evening.

I would say so far my all time fav show is now Game of Thrones. Series 7 starts this summer so I have time to binge some more shows!

When you're ready for something new, look for The Thrilling Adventure Hour. It's skits in the style of old-time radio shows. There are years and years of back episodes and the cast is PHENOMENAL!

Thank you I'll put that in my lineup.... I love the old-time skits!!

Victoria is still up if you hurry, just scroll to the bottom of the home page. OH, and they are having an encore season of Wolf Hall!!! And To Walk Invisible looks awesome!

Thanks so much for the heads up on To Walk Invisible. I saw it last night and was so disappointed. Not in the show, but that it wasn't a series! For some reason, I thought it would be, probably because there was a lot of mention here of other series on PBS. It was wonderful, but I wanted more, more, more of those Bronte sisters! I recorded it, so at least I can watch it again. So good!

One-Punch Man. OMG, this show is crazy... Now I see why my ex liked this... 4 episodes in and I still don't know what to think about it.

Definitely one of my fave animes! It's hilarious.

If you end up taking a liking to it, try Mob Psycho 100 next. It's made by the same creators - very similar sense of humour and plot. But the art style gets pretty wild.

Last edited:
BOSTON LEGAL -- We're on Season 3, just finished 1 & 2.

We borrow DVDs from our local library. They have an amazing inventory! We have basic cable, so we picked up House of Cards, Homeland, and a few other TV series we don't get. We watch some of our favorite "Oldie-but-Goodie" movies once a year or so. Like: Lonesome Dove, Out of Africa, Patton. If you've never seen "The Perfumer", it's a kick! And it's worth a look for those interested in perfume-making when it first started. There's a scene of Apprentices placing fresh picked petals into lard smeared on glass plates -- "enfleurage" technique. The 2017 award-winning Oscar movies are on the shelves now. We watched Hacksaw Ridge the other night. NOT for the squeamish! Mel Gibson directed it -- the reality of war on steroids! It's a true story of a young man who enlisted in WWII and served, even tho he was a Conscientious Objector and refused to carry/use a rifle. Awe inspiring.

If you've never seen "The Perfumer", it's a kick!

Do you mean "Perfume: Story of a murderer"? I'm not seeing "The Perfumer" in IMDB and they usually have everything, do you have a link for it? I have "Perfume" and while it's a good movie I wouldn't call it a "kick" (but Dustin Hoffman has a minor role and Alan Rickman has a supporting one)

The murder one is. Except instead of pie it's perfume, so maybe better? And there's no singing (if it matters).

In case anyone's still looking for something good to watch... while reading about To Walk Invisible, I clicked on a link about it's director, Sally Wainwright, and ended up reading about another one of her projects, Happy Valley. It's a British crime drama set Yorkshire, in the north of England, with a feisty female cop as it's lead. I decided to check it out on Netflix, and I watched three episodes in a row, because I couldn't stop. It's GOOD!!! I'm already regretting that there are only two seasons to watch.

Do you mean "Perfume: Story of a murderer"? I'm not seeing "The Perfumer" in IMDB and they usually have everything, do you have a link for it? I have "Perfume" and while it's a good movie I wouldn't call it a "kick" (but Dustin Hoffman has a minor role and Alan Rickman has a supporting one)
Yes, my bad. :oops: That's the one. I'm wondering if they re-released it and added "Story of Murderer"? to the title. When we saw it, we didn't know that until the end. My keen interest in that movie was watching how the industry of perfume making started -- and the lengths that perfumer went to to create something that captivated an entire population. It still makes me giggle. Sick, sick, sick, I know.

Looking it up last night, apparently it was based off a book (with the longer title. I think my DVD just says Perfume). The Wikipedia page looks like the book was much darker and filled with more layers of obsession.

Back