Us...or our customers

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I have had a marketing consultant going on over my products and my business plan.

I gave her some of my products so she could get a feel for what I make.
And on a few, like the popsicle shaped soaps, she said something interesting..."I think they were okay, but my kids could have cared less." (she has four, ages 4, 7, 9 and 11).

So this made me wonder....how do we decide what would make a good product for out customers versus something WE like as soapers but our customers might not.

Another example is that she said she had received a tomato soap as a gift. She said she hated it...and short of throwing it away, was using it in her potting shed to wash plant pots and gardening tools, to get rid of it. I think CP soaps that use creative recipes...like the tomato soap are great. But she said because I like it doesn't mean her customers will.

On the other hand, she has a lot of bath bombs, and other soaps that she likes...so I don't think she was being hyper critical...if anything she's my perfect demographic.

Putting something in a product line can be expensive. So, I was wondering, how do we judge?

I think you just have to throw it out there & see who bites or look at other shops will similar demographics & see what is or is not moving for them.

As for the consultant. I think I would fire her. No one cares what her & her kids want, they are 2-3 people. You need to hear 70% of people in this age group tend to be drawn twords this, or the majority of people in this tax bracket stay away from this. You are not catering your line to her family.

Why don't you send a survey out to your customers? I have & it works well, they ARE your demographics for sure.

I agree with Tabitha - a business consultant is supposed to poll more than herself and her family. There are people out there who are thrilled with natural ingredients in their soap and it's what they want. I have clients who are tired of "the norm" and want product made with nothing but natural scent and scent coming from the ingredients like coffee and chocolate and honey etc. So this consultant really makes me wonder. There are people out there that want these products, and they go across the demograohic lines. My niece wants stuff that will catch her children's interest - popsicles are one of those things. The best way to see what will sell is to take them out to a craft sale, farmer's market or into a mall. You will see for yourself what will sell. It's true sometimes we as the soap makers will come up with stuff that may not sell - however you will be surprised what will sell.

Cheers
Lindy

Popsicle soaps are a tremendous sell not just for the kids but adults like them as party favors who knew? LOL Buyers went nuts for tabithas photo soaps because they were cleaver and original. I thought to do that two years ago but figured no one else was selling them? The point just make what you feel your current demographic might like just don't break your bank. You need variety for sensitive people and regular ppl that love anything scented.

consultant

Tabitha said:
As for the consultant. I think I would fire her. No one cares what her & her kids want, they are 2-3 people. You need to hear 70% of people in this age group tend to be drawn twords this, or the majority of people in this tax bracket stay away from this. You are not catering your line to her family.

I think you guys misunderstood. She was not using only herself and her family as a final say in what works. She was using them as an example. She has worked in the gift and body products market for 22 years and she's rode some businesses to real success. She's helping me set up my brick and mortar store, plus I am trying to get into a show in New York called the Extracts Show....and she's my guide to that end.

She's done it for a number of other companies and I've hired her to do the same for me. My sales have increased exponentially, thanks to her good counsel, so I'm not firing her any time soon.

I am trying to decide what is the tipping point between what I like personally and what will sell in a wider market. That's all. She's got me thinking about some things. I guess it is basically trial and error and not a greater scientific formula... I do appreciate the feedback, though.

Personally, I know I like to be creative with my soap. Whether that's what my customers will want or not only time will tell! From what I have sold it pains me to say that most of my customers want pretty (pink, purple) soaps in a floral scent :cry: Just the one's I don't care for too much.
I suppose if you are a great salesperson you can talk up the new lines you and enthusiastic about but lets not kid ourselves, Rose and Lavender sell!
As far as the lolly pop soaps go, I haven't gone down that road, novelty soap just doesn't float my boat, nowt wrong with it, if there's a market, GO FOR IT.
I wonder if the people who already buy from you would have been a better choice of critique? A business consultant sounds rather "Jobs worth" for my liking. I hope she didn't charge too much.

Latest posts

Back