Lye Water Temperature

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mshearn3198

Reaction score
We just made a batch of soap and decided to slow down trace by letting the Lye Water cool down to about 90 degrees farenheit (30 degrees celsuis). The soap has hardened very quickly in the mould but there is no heat. Have we left the Lye Water to cool for too long.

The amount of oils we used was Oilive (200g) Coconut (125g) Rapeseed (75g) Sweet Almond (75g) and Castor (25g). The Lye was 72g and the water was 165g .

I always soap at 80-90 F and yet, I get full gel without doing anything. It's more about the surrounding temp rather than the lye temperature in my experience.

Soap doesn't always get hot, depending on the air temperature, your starting soap batter temperature, and things like that. It's no big deal. Just understand the soap may take longer to become zap free compared with a soap that does warm up. A soap that stays cooler than expected may also be softer longer and/or have a powdery or grainy texture due to not reaching the temperature at which soap normally gels.

Back