Laundry soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a 1:1 ratio of soap:washing soda (no borax). The soap I make also has a -2% superfat, and I use vinegar in its production to get 3% sodium acetate (I feel this makes it a little more crumbly and easier to grind; more info about using it here).

The citric acid comes into play for me during the rinse cycle, where I use a 10% citric acid solution in place of fabric softener.

Ok, great! and how much of it do you use per load?

For what it is worth, on the soap queen website, they say that a lye heavy soap that reaches a ph of 11-12 will clean better, but too heavy (ph of 13-14), would be dangerous for delicates.
This post is from 2017. The OP hasn't posted since 2018. Please try not to pull up old threads. You are welcome to start a new one and link to an old one if there is pertinent information. Thank you!

Ok, great! and how much of it do you use per load?

Just to close the loop on this, I have a small scoop that I estimate holds about 2 tablespoons, and I just measured the it with the laundry soap and it's about 25g/load. It's enough to generate some suds when I put it in (dissolves better if I start the load on warm water) and it also makes the water feel slick.

Back