Temperature Question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone does this? What is your opinion?
I've done it. It works. But I don't do it often... if I make soap, it's usually LS.
DIRECTIONS (Amy Kalinchik aka The Olde Crone)
Weigh solid fats into soap pot, reserving liquid oil for later. Prepare fragrance and additives.

Don safety gear. Make lye solution. Stir until clear. Pour slowly into solid fats. Stir.

Microwave olive oil 1 minute. Add to melted fats. SB to trace. Add fragrance and additives. SB 1 minute. Pour into mold.

Smooth top. Cover with plastic wrap. Tap mold on table to release air bubbles.

I read somewhere of people who do not melt their oils, and just put the freshly mixed lye into the oils without mixing, so the lye will melt the oils. Then finally stir.

Anyone does this? What is your opinion?

This is called the heat transfer method. I've read many posts of people who do it and it works well except when using cocoa butter. They've had problems getting the CB to melt completely before things significantly cool off. I've never been brave enough to try it myself though!

"...it works well except when using cocoa butter..."

Well, actually a hot lye solution will melt cocoa butter just fine ... if you are not using a large amount.

The real limitation of the "heat transfer" method is that the hot lye is not able to melt a large amount of solid fats, especially fats with a higher melting point -- lard, tallow, the butters, palm. The lye solution doesn't contain enough thermal energy to do the job.

If you are making soap that is largely liquid fats with small amounts of solid fats, put the hot lye solution with just the solid fats first. When all is fully melted, add the liquid fats. If the lye solution can't fully melt the solid fats, you still have the option of warming the liquid fats before adding them, so they can finish the job. If the lye solution is hot enough to do the job, then the room temp liquid fats will cool the mixture somewhat so the batter isn't overly hot.

Back