Little bowls of heaven

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kittish

Enthusiastic Newbie
Reaction score
jasminebowls-1565.jpg

My jasmine sambac is in full bloom. This is two day's worth of blossoms. The flowers only last a day on the plant, so I pluck them the next morning after they open and float them in water. The flowers last 2 or 3 days that way. There's enough flowers there that you can smell them even during the day. At night, the fragrance drifts through most of the house.

How lovely, I love Jasmine, lucky you!

Have you ever tried to let them wilt a bit and then infuse them in oil and use the oils to make soap? Even though the scent wouldn`t be strong I would love to try something like that some day, but with fragrant rose petals as that is more available here.

How lovely, I love Jasmine, lucky you!

Have you ever tried to let them wilt a bit and then infuse them in oil and use the oils to make soap? Even though the scent wouldn`t be strong I would love to try something like that some day, but with fragrant rose petals as that is more available here.

I don't think infusing them in oil would work very well. I tried something similar with coffee (got a jar of lovely deep brown wonderfully scented oil), and the scent didn't come through in the soap I made from that oil at all. Even doing HP and adding the scented oil after as the SF. I'd love it if it worked, jasmine absolute is ridiculously expensive and it's a gorgeous scent.

Oh jasmine...the scent is heavenly! How about using some infused oil in a lotion instead of soap?

Oh jasmine...the scent is heavenly! How about using some infused oil in a lotion instead of soap?

That has some potential, though I'd prefer to stay with anhydrous formulations as much as possible. I'd just rather not have to get into adding preservatives to stuff. I might also try collecting a few day's worth of blooms (catch them just before they open, ideally) and packing them into a small bottle of grain alcohol, see what happens there.

That has some potential, though I'd prefer to stay with anhydrous formulations as much as possible. I'd just rather not have to get into adding preservatives to stuff. I might also try collecting a few day's worth of blooms (catch them just before they open, ideally) and packing them into a small bottle of grain alcohol, see what happens there.

A lotion bar or a little in a whipped body butter maybe?

ooooooooo I am so jealous! I love jasmine! I can almost smell it. I know this sounds weird but Nurture's death and decay smells like jasmine to me so I just smelled a soap I made recently to live vicariously through you. :twisted:

I've got another round of blooms opening tonight, plus the two bowls already on the table. But it's getting close to the end of this round of flowers, then it'll be a month or so before I get another round of flowers.

I just spent the last few hours building a shelf system for my baby blood orange trees. They're about three years old, and are growing in containers under lights. Six little trees, from three seeds that I stuck in some dirt. I've had them under the lights for almost a full year now, and they seem very happy with the set up. It's going to be a minimum of another five years before I can even hope maybe for some fruit from any of them.

I've got lots of other plants, too. Several orchids, one a cattleya that should produce really frilly bright red blooms. It'll probably be another year or two before it does, though. My other orchids are phalenopsis, two of them white ones that are almost ten years old and monstrously huge (about to climb right out of the 12 inch pots they're in now). Their flowers are almost the size of my entire hand. Miniature roses, dark red and lightly scented. They seem content to have two or three blooms each pretty much all the time. A ponytail palm that I have so far succeeded in keeping out of the cat's reach, for over five years. I have a pineapple that I started from a pineapple top. I didn't realize how big it actually had gotten until I repotted it. Went from a six inch pot to a fifteen inch pot, and **** me if it doesn't actually fit that pot. It's two or three feet wide and just a bit taller than it is wide. Mister Kitteh seems to enjoy chewing on one of the leaves. They're not toxic for cats, and he isn't damaging the plant beyond that one leaf so I let him. Our other cat, Bittle, likes eating rose leaves. I have the plants up where she can't reach them (don't want her trying to chew on thorns), but give her the occasional leaf that I trim.

I don't think infusing them in oil would work very well. I tried something similar with coffee (got a jar of lovely deep brown wonderfully scented oil), and the scent didn't come through in the soap I made from that oil at all. Even doing HP and adding the scented oil after as the SF. I'd love it if it worked, jasmine absolute is ridiculously expensive and it's a gorgeous scent.

Too bad, or it would be great if it worked : )

I've got another round of blooms opening tonight, plus the two bowls already on the table. But it's getting close to the end of this round of flowers, then it'll be a month or so before I get another round of flowers.

I just spent the last few hours building a shelf system for my baby blood orange trees. They're about three years old, and are growing in containers under lights. Six little trees, from three seeds that I stuck in some dirt. I've had them under the lights for almost a full year now, and they seem very happy with the set up. It's going to be a minimum of another five years before I can even hope maybe for some fruit from any of them.

I've got lots of other plants, too. Several orchids, one a cattleya that should produce really frilly bright red blooms. It'll probably be another year or two before it does, though. My other orchids are phalenopsis, two of them white ones that are almost ten years old and monstrously huge (about to climb right out of the 12 inch pots they're in now). Their flowers are almost the size of my entire hand. Miniature roses, dark red and lightly scented. They seem content to have two or three blooms each pretty much all the time. A ponytail palm that I have so far succeeded in keeping out of the cat's reach, for over five years. I have a pineapple that I started from a pineapple top. I didn't realize how big it actually had gotten until I repotted it. Went from a six inch pot to a fifteen inch pot, and **** me if it doesn't actually fit that pot. It's two or three feet wide and just a bit taller than it is wide. Mister Kitteh seems to enjoy chewing on one of the leaves. They're not toxic for cats, and he isn't damaging the plant beyond that one leaf so I let him. Our other cat, Bittle, likes eating rose leaves. I have the plants up where she can't reach them (don't want her trying to chew on thorns), but give her the occasional leaf that I trim.
Photos? Pretty please?

Those spiky looking bits sticking out of the orange stems and branches? Those are thorns, very sharp and very stiff. Some of them are over two inches long. They WILL stab you if you give them half a chance. I'm starting to think the trees are called "blood oranges" because they have a taste for the stuff, not because the fruit is red.

Oh!!! I know nothing about gardening but yours look so cool!!!
I wonder is the pineapple growing fruits? How does it taste? :p

Oh!!! I know nothing about gardening but yours look so cool!!!
I wonder is the pineapple growing fruits? How does it taste? :p

Thanks. :)
The pineapple might eventually produce a fruit. It should taste just like the one I bought that the plant was started from, since it's a clone of that plant. It's one fruit per plant, though. Pineapples are bromeliads, which only flower and fruit once. However, there's also the chance that it'll produce pups, little baby new plants.

Hurray! Thanks!
Gardening is my other hobby, I haven't tried anything but a few common houseplants indoors though. Hmmm.... I've got a sudden hankering for pineapple ;)

yeah but infused with fresh flowers, it is asking for mold growth and other nasties, Fresh flowers contain water.......dry lose their scent

Last edited:
Back