SMF Soap Challenge -July 2017 Mermaid Tail Soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finished my first attempt at the mermaid.....and now I'm crabby. I was so close to the end of my scales, and by now my batter is getting tougher to handle, and the top blew off of my squeeze bottle and destroyed my top. Suffice it to say, I'm not using this attempt as my entry. At this rate, I'm thinking I might need until October to submit my entry. :headbanging:

No, sorry! I've been wanting to make this type of soap for years and I thought I would make a good challenge. It doesn't really require too many special materials and it requires you to get creative while still following a technique.

Beautiful soap by the way! As long as you've been here over a month and have over 50 posts you can enter the challenge!

Ha ha, I just made last month a mermaid soap. I posted pics. Very different from your video, which I may say IS amazing soap. Seems easy, but from what I have read, not really.

So I have to give a crack at it. So I ask again, can I use a combination of MP and CP? Thanks.

SunRiseArts, in the past, combination MP with CP was allowed, but I do think permission was asked and granted each time.

The mosaic soap challenge first place winning soap by mzimm was a combo of the two and it is gorgeous. Look here at posts #96 & 98 & 100 of her winning soap and how she made it.

Last edited:
Asmita, you can do that! You can also try to get your post count up in the next week to 50 so you can join if you want. You've been here long enough!

I know some people are just readers/lurkers here so if you don't want to comment on things I understand that too!

I can spend months on this forum but just don't have the time at the moment. On the other hand I have to work on getting my post count up to 50 soon. Each month's competition is so much fun.

I'll make in any case. Where I get to post depends on the quality of the soap :)

I made two batches with the mermaid's tail scales topping today. I wasn't too happy with the first one until I did the second one and dropped one of my squeeze bottles right on top of my scales! Now the first one looks pretty good in comparison, but I'm still not happy with my progress with this design technique. Maybe I'll do it again in another couple of days. I really want to be totally pleased with the soap when I'm finished.

Ha ha, I just made last month a mermaid soap. I posted pics. Very different from your video, which I may say IS amazing soap. Seems easy, but from what I have read, not really.

So I have to give a crack at it. So I ask again, can I use a combination of MP and CP? Thanks.

So sorry! Yes, you can absolutely use MP soap with it. Just no embeds on the top with the mermaid tail pattern.

Jewels, I'm so sorry to hear about the mishap with the squeeze bottle. :(

Earlene, I hope you end up loving the first one you made after you cut it!

I'm officially back from all vacation now so I should be good to go on messaging/comments. Sorry I haven't been too involved in the forum lately.

Thanks, galaxy. I actually do like it better than the second one, but still have lots of room for improvement. I'm going to try the plastic liner inside the bottle. When I went shopping yesterday I bought some more heat seal food bags and plan to see if I can make those work. I think the plastic I use for wrapping my soap is too thin, but if the former doesn't work, I'll try that instead. Actually I suppose a plain old-fashioned sandwich baggie would work just fine, too.

I cut both late last night and although I do like the soap, neither is really entry worthy IMO.

This challenge is harder than it looks! Getting the batter in the perfect consistency to make the scales is not an easy task!

1. earlene - I have not seen this one before; it should be fun!
2. Omneya- I have seen this before, but it was called dragon scales. Still want to try it!
3. dibbles - I've actually tried this once - it didn't go well. Time to try again!
4. toxikon - pretty shiny scales!!!
5. BattleGnome - an exercise in patience for me
6. PenelopeJane - Time poor this month but I will try and make time.
7. Soapprentice - oooooooohhhh..... Dragon scales!!
8. Mx5inpenn - I was thinking dragon too!
9. jewels621 - I'm in again....so fun!
10. Saponista - always wanted to try this!
11. SunRiseArts - I love mermaids, and their scale tails!
12. Sonya-m - haven't been around much lately so about time I took part!!
13. KristaY- Been SO busy with family and I NEED to make soap so this is the perfect challenge to get back into the swing of it!
14. Kittish- This will be fun.

This challenge is harder than it looks! Getting the batter in the perfect consistency to make the scales is not an easy task!

Yes, this is why it took so long in the video. You want a slow moving batter so you have time in the stage where you are pouring for the scales. If you choose a batter that thickens quickly, you won't have a long time to drop the scales. It's a battle of patience and technique. It was much more difficult than I originally anticipated and I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with!

So as it turns out, at this point in time my practice soap seems to have come out the best. But the one I like the best so far is the my second one, not quite as perfect but a more pleasing-to-me color scheme. Of course I plan to do at least one more attempt for improvement and self-satisfaction.

But something that bothers me is this: I used gold mica in oil to highlight the top somewhat and love the look. But soda ash seems to be hindering the color intensity of the other colors now, and the only remedy also removes the gold mica. So sad. I was hoping that the gold mica would have absorbed into the soap surface more and not disappear immediately upon getting wet.

On the plus side, I am very happy with the copious bubbles of this soap.

But something that bothers me is this: I used gold mica in oil to highlight the top somewhat and love the look. But soda ash seems to be hindering the color intensity of the other colors now, and the only remedy also removes the gold mica.

So I guess you have tried both alcohol and steam?

Steam? What do you mean steam?

I finished mine. I like both, my family likes the CP, and I like the MP... so I guess I will be submitting CP???? Not sure what to do....

Sunrise, if you steam the top of the soap, it will help remove soda ash.

Earlene, I'm so sorry to hear that the pretty gold mica came off when you removed the soda ash.

Try rubbing dry mica on the soap to give it a shimmer in the crevices! Rub off the excess on the raised parts. Hope that might work for you.

After seeing this plus Soap Queen's video, it looks like the soap should be thick enough to hold a dollop shape, but soft enough to still have a good shine. Once the batter gets stiff and loses a lot of its shine you're running out of time?

1. earlene - I have not seen this one before; it should be fun!

2. Omneya- I have seen this before, but it was called dragon scales. Still want to try it!

3. dibbles - I've actually tried this once - it didn't go well. Time to try again!

4. toxikon - pretty shiny scales!!!

5. BattleGnome - an exercise in patience for me

6. PenelopeJane - Time poor this month but I will try and make time.

7. Soapprentice - oooooooohhhh..... Dragon scales!!

8. Mx5inpenn - I was thinking dragon too!

9. jewels621 - I'm in again....so fun!

10. Saponista - always wanted to try this!

11. SunRiseArts - I love mermaids, and their scale tails!

12. Sonya-m - haven't been around much lately so about time I took part!!

13. KristaY- Been SO busy with family and I NEED to make soap so this is the perfect challenge to get back into the swing of it!

14. Kittish- This will be fun.

15. Cherrycoke216 - I'm in! What should mermaid smells like? Hope she doesn't smell rotten fishy... :p

Back