What to do after letting CP firm up after pouring?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misfities

Reaction score
oils used were:
Shea
Olive oil
coconut oil
palm oil
Avocado oil
Sweet Almond Oil
Strawberry fragrance
Pink clay

After pouring, i let sit for 10 minutes. applied seran wrap. let it sit out overnight, wrapped in a towel. Wondering why the top came out a little crusty like this. Did not spray any alcohol.

Would like to know if there's a typical procedure after pouring on how you store your soap overnight while it cools.

Thanks

IMG_3254.jpg

If I am gelling my soap(usually), I put a mold upside down over the top to protect the top, and wrap the whole in a beach towel. No saran wrap. If I am not gelling. I put a piece of cardboard over the top and stick it in the fridge. No saran wrap. Every time I have tried saran wrap, I get exactly what you got. I have seen some really cool soap that used bubble wrap on the top, though, and it was awesome.

Gelling is when you deliberately let the batter heat up (insulate heavily, CPOP) basically the reason for it is to make the colors brighter. Some people don't like that, and feel that their soaps are creamier/the texture is better when they don't. Eg, I like bright colors so often CPOP (but carefully, it can cause bubbling in silicone molds, which I often use) to force gel. If I don't want that effect I put it into the fridge to stop gel. I am happy either way, usually, except when I get something in the middle. Also, (a) I will avoid gelling w/low flashpoint EO's/FO's to avoid burning them off; and (2) higher temps sometimes makes certain colorants more likely to morph.

Edited to add: Suzie, I love putting bubble wrap on OMH soaps, it looks so pretty, convincing, and is easy. And then if it bubbly, who cares :) Although I usually put it on the bottom. Even if some leaks out, it looks ok, it is supposed to look uneven/honeycomb-ish.

Last edited:
Hey, I learned a lot. Yes, I care nothing about gel. I don't need bright colors. So, I proabably should have stuck this sucker in the fridge. When you put it in the fridge, do you typically still cover it?

I just leave my soap uncovered on the kitchen table. No saran wrap, no towels, no alcohol. As far as gel, that batch of your honey oatmeal that had the crack developed was gelling. Thats why it got so hot and turned that dark color.
Why don't you try not covering a batch, see what happens.

This might help
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHD7aC4t75w[/ame]

And I find that the piece of cardboard is just enough to keep everything in my fridge from tasting like the EO. If you put some sort of plastic over the top, you can get water droplet marks on the top of the soap. The cardboard absorbs it.

I get my soap in the cold as soon as possible after pouring. I might cover the mold with paper but that is about it.

Latest posts

Back