Pyrex...yay or nay?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are worried,then get some cheap plastic ones that can stand up to a lot of microwaving.

I think the Pyrex would probably be okay, BUT you are the one doing it. If I was worried I would change it, maybe it won't shatter on its own but what if it dropped by accident? That would be reason enough for me to switch.

Hi all, I am new to this forum & have found it very helpful. I had a question about using Pyrex... I do not use Pyrex when making CP soap, however, I've recently tried my hand at MP and body butters. I have a 4 cup Pyrex measuring cup I've been using to heat soap bases, butters, oils etc. as a modified double boiler and depending on the amounts-occasionally I've used it in the microwave as well. I'm paranoid about Pyrex glass and hot oils shattering and exploding in my face, so I've taken to wearing safety glasses, but I was wondering if this was even a possibility? Is it just the lye that etches the glass over time? Is it repeated high heat? Has this ever happened to anyone? Thank you in advance!

Any glass is susceptible to thermal shock and shattering. This happens when the glass is hot and comes into contact with a surface that is much lower in temp than the glass. The part in contact with the cooler surface contracts faster than it can handle and the stress causes it to shatter.

To prevent this, never set a hot glass container on a counter or in your sink or put it into water that is cooler than the glass. Always set it on a potholder, or a silicon pad, or a folded tea towel until it cools.

Even chemistry lab grade glassware will shatter with thermal shock.

I use Pyrex with no problems. Having said that, let me point out that Pyrex has changed their formula, and is no longer the super-high quality borosilicate glass it used to be. That's lab glass, and is easy and relatively cheap to find on line.

You should always be wearing safety glasses, anyway. So keep up the good work! Mea Culpa: I personally don't wear safety glasses as I have not been able to find a pair that fit over my bifocals AND allow me to see properly. I can work blind, or unprotected. What a choice.:roll:

Stay by the microwave, and use multiple short bursts at lower temps than longer/higher settings. Stir frequently. I use beeswax in ALL my soaps, and it has a high melting point. I routinely melt it in Pyrex in the microwave with no issues.

Be careful, and remember it's better to put it back in for another 10 seconds than clean the microwave of melted base/oils and shattered glass!

~HoneyLady~

Hi Mrs Brightside!

Yes- stainless steel is great. As for plastics, look at the bottom of the plastic at the recycle code in the triangle underneath, and buy the ones with PP #5 (polypropylene #5). PP #5 can withstand boiling water. That's the kind I use in which to mix my lye-solution.

IrishLass :)

Last edited:
Honeylady, what properties does beeswax give your soap? Do you need to soap at high temps?
Also, I sure wish someone would come up with goggles that allow for glasses! I cannot see for reading without them. I put a cheap pair of readers over my goggles, but they don't stay very well. What do others do who need glasses? Suggestions from myopically impaired soapers?

Latest posts

Back