Felted Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DragonQueenHHP

Reaction score
Has anyone felted soap before? I seen this for the first time today on the net while looking for something ( I am always behind the times) loved the whole concept and there is a Alpaca Farm not far from here I could get wool from. just wanted others take on it :p

I have once before a few years ago. If I had access to a cheaper source than the knitting store in my town I might include them in a christmas basket for my family. The one thing I do remember is that it took some time for them to try since in order to felt you need to get them wet first. So I think mold could be a factor unless you set them up properly.

Felted soaps have come and gone for at least 20 years that I know of. Every time they come around again I just cringe. They are bad enough with "Ivory" inside can you just picture nice handmade soap wrapped up in soggy wool and never drying out? :sick: jmo

I did some a couple years ago. I used my "fugly" soaps for them, but they didn't sell as well as I'd hoped. People would buy one, but since they never used it, they wouldn't come back for more :( They just used them for decoration.

I have a small business felting soap. I can't keep up! Wool is antibacterial so it does not mold. The purpose is it's like having a wash cloth on the soap, it doesn't slip out of your hand, makes the soap last much longer, they smell great and are beautiful! I do not felt the corners because I want the handmade soap to show and it helps it get a chance to dry. Check out my website http://www.facebook.com/thefeltedsoaplady for ideas and for all of you that are thinking of Christmas gifts I sell kits for $6 each. There are great fun and make the soap last much longer. If anyone needs help just let me know! It doesn't seem like I can attach a photo! Darn. Check out the website. There are tons of photos and info on there.

If anyone wants to give this a try, I have TONS of alpaca fiber just sitting around. I never got around to felting, or spinning, or doing anything with 3 animals worth of fiber! Super cheap...just PM me and we'll work it out.

thefeltedsoaplady said:
I have a small business felting soap. I can't keep up! Wool is antibacterial so it does not mold. The purpose is it's like having a wash cloth on the soap, it doesn't slip out of your hand, makes the soap last much longer, they smell great and are beautiful! I do not felt the corners because I want the handmade soap to show and it helps it get a chance to dry. Check out my website http://www.facebook.com/thefeltedsoaplady for ideas and for all of you that are thinking of Christmas gifts I sell kits for $6 each. There are great fun and make the soap last much longer. If anyone needs help just let me know! It doesn't seem like I can attach a photo! Darn. Check out the website. There are tons of photos and info on there.

Those look great. I made it once and it seemed very time consuming. Each bar took me about 20 mins to get good and stuck together, and then I had a problem getting the last peice to stay put. Whats the trick?? Yours does seem thinner than mine, maybe I used to much wool. I felted all the corners which was a pain, so I am going to try yours without the corners. Does this stay together thru showers?

I put 5 or 6 very thin layers of wool/fiber. Kind of like watercolor painting, base color that adding colors as you go. Yes, the fiber continues to felt in the shower. There are pictures posted of week old used felted soap and a little 'scrubby dude" which is left when the soap is gone. I have the felting down to about 1 and 1/2 minutes per bar doing it this way. Very fun. Don't give up!!!

If you're on Facebook 'like me'(or maybe that's you that's my new like this morning). I'll be posting a bucket of pictures today.

thefeltedsoaplady said:
I put 5 or 6 very thin layers of wool/fiber. Kind of like watercolor painting, base color that adding colors as you go. Yes, the fiber continues to felt in the shower. There are pictures posted of week old used felted soap and a little 'scrubby dude" which is left when the soap is gone. I have the felting down to about 1 and 1/2 minutes per bar doing it this way. Very fun. Don't give up!!!

Thanks I will give it a whirl today

thefeltedsoaplady said:

Welcome to the forum. I had to check out your FB page & I liked you. Gorgeous felting :) Plus, I see you're a Wisconsinite also. I'm up in Eau Claire.

Hi. i know this is an old post but i was just wondering about the soap that you use in felting. I have just started felting and was going to start making hp soap for them. I heard that coconut oil washed away to quickly for felted soap
is that true, if so what oils do you recommend instead?
Thank you

Back