Burning in the eyes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alvonia

Reaction score
I have been sending some of my products out for testing. And one of the testers told me that the Shea and chamomile soap where burning in the eyes. Are there any specific ingredients that burn in the eyes or is this just bad luck. It is worth mentioning that the soaps had not been curing enough before she used it. Is it going to be better when it is cured?
I am supposed to make a facial cleansing bar, but I can’t sell it if it burns in the eyes.

All handmade soaps (actually, all soaps in general) are going to burn if it gets in your eyes. It is because of the PH.

did you use eos or a fo? were they washin face with it and felt burning or act. got it in their eye?

honor435 said:
did you use eos or a fo? were they washin face with it and felt burning or act. got it in their eye?

I did not use any eo`s or fo`s - only some chamomile oil, wich is made by ectracting the chamomileflowers in almond oil.
She got it in her eyes.

hmm, so I have to say to not get it in the eyes.

Thanks for the answers.

well, you'd think nowadays people would know, but maybe you should put a disclaimer on your package, "Not for washing eyeballs." :lol:

although, I think "for external use only" should cover that :)

Saltysteele said:
well, you'd think nowadays people would know, but maybe you should put a disclaimer on your package, "Not for washing eyeballs." :lol:

Thanks for the morning laugh Salty!

I'd think that all soap would hurt in the eyes unless a "numbing" product was used like the tear -free stuff.

All of my soap burns my eyes and all handmade soaps I have bought in the past have hurt my eyes. Dove burns my eyes, I think it's just a soap thing.

holly99 said:
I'd think that all soap would hurt in the eyes unless a "numbing" product was used like the tear -free stuff.

Hm, I had no idea that's why it's tear free!

Saltysteele said:

LOL!! Praps should add 'Slippery when wet' & 'This is a rinse off product'

Seriously tho Alvonia,every bar of soap on the planet will sting your eyes. I do think that testers sometimes get a little over critical.I had one lady tell me her lotion wouldn't rub in after she used my soap....turns out she was using something she'd never tried before.Sorbolene!! Of course,that wasn't the problem tho,it was my soap!

:D Just common sense should prevail , keep out of eyes . It isn't lye burning their eyes , unless the soap were lye heavy .

Kitn

Cortney said:
All of my soap burns my eyes and all handmade soaps I have bought in the past have hurt my eyes. Dove burns my eyes, I think it's just a soap thing.

holly99 said:

Hm, I had no idea that's why it's tear free!
It's NOT why it's tear free. They do not containing numbing agents. They are formulated with a pH that is close to normal and with gentle surfactants that don't irritate eyes.

The numbing agent thing is a fallacy.

"The assertion that chemicals are added that numb the baby's eyes is
totally false. The reason JOHNSON'S shampoo formulas do not irritate
the eyes is the mildness of the formulation, which has undergone
extensive clinical testing and has proven to be as gentle to the eyes
as pure water."

(Johnson & Johnson FAQs next to last on the left
[http://johnsonsbaby.com/faq.do ], Johnson & Johnson Consumer Companies Inc., Copyright 1998-2004.)

So what makes it tearless?

"Shampoo is used to cleanse the hair. The primary ingredient of a
shampoo is a detergent. Many shampoos, particularly those targeted for
babies and children, claim to cause non eye irritation or sting. A
"no-tear" formulation achieves this claim by carefully adjusting the
nature of the detergents. In particularly, the identity and
concentration of detergents with anionic or "charged" portion are
controlled to minimize both eye and skin irritation."

(Source: What makes a no-tears shampoo? -
http://www.ccchwc.edu.hk/webpage/chemis ... hampoo.htm,
C.C.C. Heep Woh College Chemistry Department, Copyright 2003)

True soaps are not thus formulated, and ARE irritating to the eyes - the pH is quite high, just for starters.

Carebear, I researched the numbing agent thing tonight too and read a lot about the fallacy and also alot of good companies still claiming it's true. So glad that you went ahead and put it on here and now I don't have to. :D

I still don't like all the various chemicals, personally.

My 80 year old father told me my soap burned his eyes, but his Dove doesn't really burn them so he won't use my soap. I never thought anyone would be silly enough to think that soap won't burn their eyes, it's soap! I guess I should have reminded him not to eat it too. Can't please everyone.

Latest posts

Back