~*~ SMF July 2017 Challenge - Mermaid Tail Soaps! ~*~
~ July 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Bath and Body Forum > Making Deodorant

Old 07-09-2017, 07:30 PM   #61
Aline
Lifetime Supporting Member
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 215 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 241

Hi Irish Lass!

I am about to start working on a deodorant stick based on Susan's formulas & Bramble Berry's deodorant base (which really works for me but it's not particularly cheap) and am wondering how your recipe went?

Aloha,
Aline

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLass View Post
Hear, hear!

That's exactly what made me set out on this quest.....unsightly, oily underarm stains from an oil-based deodorant I bought at Wholefoods.....even after only one use. I finally got the oil stains out of my clothing, but not until they had gone through about 3 different spot-scrubbings with an oil-stain remover and 3 trips through the wash machine. Never again, no thanks!

The following formula is the first recipe I think I shall try. It's a tweak of this one here: http://www.duponttateandlyle.com/pdf...rant_stick.pdf :

Propanadiol 60%
Water 26.5%
Sodium Stearate 6.5%
Caprol Micro Express 3% (from LotionCrafter's)
Saccharomyces Ferment 2.5% (from Brambleberry)
Fragrance 1%
Liquid Germall Plus .5%

I am going to follow the procedural protocols for working with Propanediol listed out here: http://www.duponttateandlyle.com/sit..._Zemea_CPC.pdf

But first, I need to order my ingredients!

IrishLass

Old 07-09-2017, 07:58 PM   #62
IrishLass
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 6623 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 4358

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aline View Post
Hi Irish Lass!

I am about to start working on a deodorant stick based on Susan's formulas & Bramble Berry's deodorant base (which really works for me but it's not particularly cheap) and am wondering how your recipe went?

Aloha,
Aline
Aloha, Aline!

I'm very sorry to have to inform you that I have actually not made it yet, wouldn't you know it. I got distracted along the way with the magnesium hydroxide powder/babassu oil deodorant that everyone has been making with excellent results, and it's been working so well for me that I haven't even thought about making the above recipe you posted.

Have you by any chance seen TeresaT's "de-funk de pits' thread? Starting on page 9 of the thread is where we started experimenting with making deodorant with just powdered magnesium hydroxide & babassu oil (starting at post 89): http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showt...t=60682&page=9

IrishLass

People Like This 
Old 07-09-2017, 08:47 PM   #63
Aline

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLass View Post
Aloha, Aline!

I'm very sorry to have to inform you that I have actually not made it yet, wouldn't you know it. I got distracted along the way with the magnesium hydroxide powder/babassu oil deodorant that everyone has been making with excellent results, and it's been working so well for me that I haven't even thought about making the above recipe you posted.

Have you by any chance seen TeresaT's "de-funk de pits' thread? Starting on page 9 of the thread is where we started experimenting with making deodorant with just powdered magnesium hydroxide & babassu oil (starting at post 89): http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showt...t=60682&page=9

IrishLass
LOL, I know how that goes! I did start reading that post but did not get to that bit! Thanks, I will check it out I do already have the ingredients to make a stick deo though so will try that first...

Last edited by Aline; 07-10-2017 at 12:48 AM.
IrishLass Likes This 
Old 07-10-2017, 12:55 AM   #64
BattleGnome

Liked 560 Times on 282 Posts
Likes Given: 632

Quote:
LOL, I know how that goes! I did start reading that post but did not get to that bit! Thanks, I will check it out I do already have the ingredients to make a stick deo though so will try that first...
I'll add here that I recently got BB's deodorant base to try. Unscented it workes reasonably well, I can expect 12 hours before I start smelling too bad. I mixed some with Spearmint EO and got the redness/rash people complained about in reviews. My EO may not have been of questionable quality or it could have reacted weird. Just figured I'd note it since they say they use the additive as the active ingredient
Aline Likes This 
Old 07-10-2017, 04:33 AM   #65
Aline

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleGnome View Post
I'll add here that I recently got BB's deodorant base to try. Unscented it workes reasonably well, I can expect 12 hours before I start smelling too bad. I mixed some with Spearmint EO and got the redness/rash people complained about in reviews. My EO may not have been of questionable quality or it could have reacted weird. Just figured I'd note it since they say they use the additive as the active ingredient
Spearmint can be irritating to the skin. I added lavender to mine and it's not at all irritating...
BattleGnome Likes This 
Old 07-17-2017, 04:25 PM   #66
Soaps_and_more

Liked 8 Times on 3 Posts

Default Zinc oxide

Hi,
I have now been experimenting for three years.

I cannot stand baking soda, in any form, nor any kind of fragrance.

Luckily I don't have a lot of body odor. I now make a solid stick, with a little beeswax to give hardness, some butters, what ever I have at the moment, love shea butter, some oils, and zinc oxide.
That's all.

Works really good.
Doesn't stain and keeps me non smelling the whole day.

I also find that the butters do me good under the arms. What ever that means, I just love applying it, never had a day of red or irritated arm pits since.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:15 PM   #67
DeeAnna
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 10427 Times on 4753 Posts
Likes Given: 4662

Quote:
The "de-funk da pits" deodorant using magnesium hydroxide powder and babassu oil can be a stick deodorant. This thread is worth reading in full. It works and is much less likely to cause skin irritation and fabric staining than the baking soda versions using butters.
Gaisy59 Likes This 
Old 07-18-2017, 01:12 AM   #68
mmills

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I tried several recipes I found on line, but the oil to corn starch ratio was too high and contained too much baking soda which caused rashes. Now, I don't even bother with a recipe. I just melt the coconut oil - any amount - then keep stirring in corn starch, with a very small amt of baking soda, until the mixture is stiff and difficult to turn. I then press it into an empty deodorant applicator. It works quite well and washes out of clothing easily because of the lower oil content.

Old 07-20-2017, 12:45 AM   #69
Jburch

I have made a liquid deodorant, it's base is witchhazel and cider vinegar, very effective and I also make a deodorant powder with cornstarch. Both of these are effective for me!

Old 07-20-2017, 02:33 PM   #70
cmzaha
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4569 Times on 2684 Posts
Likes Given: 961

PKO has less tendency to stain clothing versus coconut oil. I dabbled for awhile with trying to make one and even 0.5% baking soda caused a painful rash after a few months. Haven't played with them since.

cmzaha
No kids in the soaping area