Steeling Organics

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BayBoy

Reaction score
In my pursuit of making an all organic bay rum, I've settled on steeping pimenta racimosa leaves in everclear. This is the only organic I'm using. The rest of the scents come from EO.

I am experimenting with 1/4 oz of leaves per 24 oz of of everclear. This mixture, after 6 weeks, will be cut in half with witch hazel and water.

Do you think that 1/4 oz (about 50 to 60 leaves) per 24 oz of alcohol sounds sufficient?

All botanicals are different. Google "menstruum for bay leaves" to find the correct menstruum for this botanical. It isn't "pimenta racemosa" but should work. Rather than Everclear, one source suggested rum.

HTH :bunny:

Yes rum is a traditional solvent for bay rum circa 1800. But most rum is only 80 proof. It's extraction potency is limited. Not really great for creating a commercial product.

Everclear is 190 and is odorless for the most part. I think with rum I'm afraid the wearer might smell too boozy.

That said, my question was more about how much dried leaf should I use.

Back