Powdered Buttermilk

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SgtSluggo

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used it in soap? What did it do? I noticed that I still have some in the pantry that I don't actually plan on using and wondered what it would do in soap.

Use it in your soap, you will love it! I started with dumping it in the oils before I added the lye, but found that there would still be granules left. Now, I just mix the lye with the minimum water, like 1.1X lye, and then do 0.9X water to mix the buttermilk powder. I usually add it at trace for cold process, so that it doesn't get too burnt by the lye.

I was wondering if I could blend it into the lye water once it had already cooled, but I can try splitting the water too.

I was wondering if I could blend it into the lye water once it had already cooled, but I can try splitting the water too.

I use it but I do the split method when doing so. I mix my lye with just enough water to dissolve it. I then add the powdered milk to the remainder of the water or milk if I'm going for full strength. It works well. I wouldn't add it to the mixed lye mixture though. Might cause issues and not dissolve properly.

I agree that I wouldn't dump the powder into the lye water. You want to be able to mix it well. I'll dump the powder into the water, warm it up a bit to help it dissolve, and I might stick blend it to get the chunks out.

Latest posts

Back