~*~ SMF July 2017 Challenge - Mermaid Tail Soaps! ~*~
~ July 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Lye-Based Soap Forum > CP Felted Soap Problem

Old 07-17-2017, 10:45 PM   #51
AKjulz

Liked 166 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I wish I had been a part of a forum like this when I started soaping years ago. I was one of those naive individuals that listened to her not so knowledgeable mentor and sold WAY too soon. I think it's vital that newbies be told that much research and time be committed before presenting to the public. I was recently corrected on this forum regarding something I'm doing wrong and instead of getting offended and pissed off because they were blunt, I took the correction and am learning more and fixing my mistake. So thanks to all those wise and knowledgeable individuals out there!

People Like This 
Old 07-18-2017, 12:44 AM   #52
Susie
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7439 Times on 4111 Posts
Likes Given: 15435

Quote:
Originally Posted by randycoxclemson View Post
No, they weren't. Just because others are even ruder and more brash does not make your statements in any way "kind." I'm not choosing you to pick on, you just happened to be the most recent example of this type of bad behavior on this site.

Keep that in mind.
Just because he did not pat them on the hand and tell them that everything will turn out OK, does not mean that he is rude. Telling people the truth is its own kindness. ESPECIALLY if it keeps someone from selling bad soap.

People Like This 
Old 07-18-2017, 12:48 AM   #53
Susie
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7439 Times on 4111 Posts
Likes Given: 15435

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchaystack View Post
I think this is how I am going to handle things from now on. I'll just go into lurk mode, and not offend people any more.
No, sir, please do not. You are a valid, valued contributor to this forum. You have helped more people than you have offended, by far.

And thank goodness I was not at the center of one firestorm, for a nice change.

I really hate that people take constructive criticism so badly.
People Like This 
Old 07-18-2017, 04:42 AM   #54
cmzaha
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4569 Times on 2684 Posts
Likes Given: 961

^^^totally agree with Susie. LOL, you slipping Susie?

cmzaha
No kids in the soaping area
People Like This 
Old 07-18-2017, 06:33 PM   #55
cherrycoke216

Liked 357 Times on 203 Posts

Default CP Felted Soap Problem

PenelopeJane, she's moving on to an B&B business, and her website stop updating, I doubt I'll get my money back.

On a second thought, though I think most of us would not like diva or cry baby, but what if it's a depressed person or have mental illness, or with some disability? Would our members' constructive criticism make them more depressed or go cuckoo, or feel unaccepted by society? Then Randy might actually make a point. Though I don't know if a more neutral tone or dial down a bit will make a difference to the response of these people mentioned above. But I think the society might tolerate them MORE (than same behavior from average Joe or Jane ) and be EVEN MORE GENTLE.

Just a random thought after reading Saponificarian's post.
Zany_in_CO Likes This 
Old 07-18-2017, 06:52 PM   #56
The Efficacious Gentleman
Lifetime Supporting Member
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 7910 Times on 3814 Posts
Likes Given: 3730

I can't (or won't) base my interactions with people on the possibility that they are mentally ill or anything in that direction, unless they state that up front and then it is not an assumption any more. That said, if someone is in a position that they can't take the sort of example here, how would they react if someone contacted them after buying dodgy products? Surely a little bit of a struggle here would be better than that sort of stress?
People Like This 
Old 07-18-2017, 07:09 PM   #57
dixiedragon

Liked 3497 Times on 2021 Posts
Likes Given: 1548

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrycoke216 View Post
PenelopeJane, she's moving on to an B&B business, and her website stop updating, I doubt I'll get my money back.

On a second thought, though I think most of us would not like diva or cry baby, but what if it's a depressed person or have mental illness, or with some disability? Would our members' constructive criticism make them more depressed or go cuckoo, or feel unaccepted by society? Then Randy might actually make a point. Though I don't know if a more neutral tone or dial down a bit will make a difference to the response of these people mentioned above. But I think the society might tolerate them MORE (than same behavior from average Joe or Jane ) and be EVEN MORE GENTLE.

Just a random thought after reading Saponificarian's post.
I find this to be pretty ridiculous, TBH. It's like that reasoning that you should be tolerant of rude, nasty people b/c they might have a mental illness. Seriously, if somebody is so severely mentally ill that a person on the internet telling them, "You don't know enough about soap to be a seller" pushes them to do something drastic ... then they were going to do something drastic anyway.

I also don't see how the post could have been MORE neutral. Sure, it could have been sugar-coated more, but to what purpose? It was polite, informative and gave logical reasons.

People Like This