~*~ SMF July 2017 Challenge - Mermaid Tail Soaps! ~*~
~ July 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Aromatherapy, Herbs and Essential Oils > Oakmoss to Offset the Odor of Lard/Tallow

Old 07-17-2017, 01:02 AM   #1
Zany_in_CO
Saponifier

Liked 535 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 2224

Default Oakmoss to Offset the Odor of Lard/Tallow

Lard and tallow were some of the first soaps I ever made, and they continue to be favorites with family and friends. I even use them in liquid soap. When I was first starting out in this addictive hobby, I had the very good fortune to be on a soaping forum where I learned that Oakmoss covered the odor of tallow and lard in soap. It works! And it doesn't take much to work.

Quote:
OAKMOSS ABSOLUTE, 1 oz. (Evernia prunastri)
Oakmoss is not a true flowering plant but a lichen (algae + fungus) that is extracted for its fragrance. They grow well on trunks of the Oak tree. Oakmoss absolute is a viscous liquid with an extremely intense aroma reminiscent of a damp forest floor.

Its odor is uplifting, cooling and calming. Its properties are more emotional and spiritual than physical. It can be used as an addition with respiratory oils as an inhalant to relieve congested sinus. May irritate sensitive skin. Blends well with cedarwood, citrus, pine, rosemary and vetiver. Used extensively in perfumery, its a very thick product whose dark green color will vary from batch to batch and distiller to distiller. Flashpoint: >200 F. Solvent extracted lichen, India.

Source: http://www.camdengrey.com/
TIP: Oakmoss Absolute is pricey, and tricky to work with so I dilute it in jojoba oil (long shelf life) to make it user-friendly and easy to measure.

METHOD
First warm the absolute by setting the bottle in a glass of hot water until it swirls easily. I warm the jojoba in the microwave in a 2-cup Pyrex to about 100F (38C). To create a 10% dilution, I add 1 oz. Oakmoss to 9 oz. jojoba and gently stir for one full minute to get it completely incorporated.

Allow to cool before pouring into an dark colored glass bottle. I store it with the rest of my supplies in a box on a shelf in my soaping cabinet.

Use 0.7% (1/4 - 1/2 tsp. PPO)

Oakmoss is a wonderful blender and fixative to anchor EO blends. I haven't checked in a while, but you may find it in the 10% diluted form. Not sure. You can also try an FO if you find it. I've never used FO, so I can't say if that will work or not.

Last edited by Zany_in_CO; 07-17-2017 at 01:17 AM.
People Like This 
Old 07-17-2017, 01:08 AM   #2
Arimara

Liked 1154 Times on 764 Posts
Likes Given: 3758

I thank you for the advice but I will have to abstain for now. YOu know how Life and bills work.
Zany_in_CO Likes This