Lust -Fragrance Buddy - blech so far

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The unsuspecting sniffer results were evenly divided. Half the noses liked it, half said NO. All said it was really strong. Funnily enough, the half that liked it smelled all mint in my eucalyptus/mint bar and the half that didn't smelled hardly any mint in it....so it apparently depends on your nose overall.

Moral of the story..........buyer beware...you'll either love or hate it LOL.

nsmar4211 same here regarding the Lush, I picked up the six week old sample, and thought well this would be nice blended with my honeysuckle jasmine, or maybe.... I will have to experiment, but a few weeks ago I almost tossed the bottle.

The unsuspecting sniffer results were evenly divided. Half the noses liked it, half said NO. All said it was really strong. Funnily enough, the half that liked it smelled all mint in my eucalyptus/mint bar and the half that didn't smelled hardly any mint in it....so it apparently depends on your nose overall.

Moral of the story..........buyer beware...you'll either love or hate it LOL.

That is interesting. Too bad we can't do a larger scale study on your subject's sniffers.

Yea, sniffers seem to be evenly divided LOL

Ok, Lust may have redeemed itself...barely. Old bar smells much much better (CP).

Can't believe I tried this, but I did a small HP batch, one pound, and added .4 oz of lust. Turned a pretty pink color (as did the CP) and did not blow me out of the room. So Mayyyyyyyyyyybe it might be tolerable just in lower doses. We'll have to see how it holds...I can't imagine it fading though! Only FO I've ever worn gloves just to pick up the bottle....

nsmar4211 that was brave! I have been playing with the idea of adding it to a honeysuckle Jasmine FO that I have which is a little light. I was thinking of adding .35 oz of Lust per pound. Also thought about adding it to the FB Grapefruit Zest, or WSP Pink Grapefruit since I can't get my old favorite Grapefruit Jasmine.

Hrm, if you're doing CP then .35 might work...might also overpower the honeysuckle? If my experiement with HP works, I can defintly say you get more for your money from it (due to low usage)... :)

How is the FB Grapefruit Zest? Is that the Honeysuckle Jasmine from FB?

nsmar, you are braver than I'll ever be. Lust is still in the garage right next to Tuca and a few others.

Yes it is the Grapefruit Zest from FB and the Honeysuckle Jasmine from FB. I haven't used the Grapefruit Zest yet, debated on ordering it last time because the Pink Grapefruit from WSP is so perfect.
I did a mix of Honeysuckle Hollow from WSP and the Honeysuckle Jasmine from FB. I really like it, I was worried that the Honeysuckle Hollow would overpower it, since it is a super strong FO. I think the Honeysuckle Jasmine took away some of the sharpness. I used less than the Maximum of Honeysuckle Jasmine, remainder Honeysuckle Hollow which added up to .85 oz per pound. I only did one solid color with the color mixed into the oils. It moved fast, but much slower than the Honeysuckle Hollow alone.

Thanks Olive. I have the grapefruit zest in my cart right now. I think I'll just get 1 oz to try. I'll keep the Pink Grapefruit from WSP on the list. I agree FBs HJ is too weak and bland on its own. I'm planning on test blending it with the Honeysuckle from TCS and Heavenly Honeysuckle from BB. Please update about the mix with Honeysuckle Hollow.

The Grapefruit Zest is very strong oob, and realistic, I think the Pink Grapefruit is a little sweeter, but also smells just like a real grapefruit. I can say the WSP sticks for 7 months and still as strong as when it was first soaped. At three weeks the Honeysuckle Jasmine mix is very strong, and not fading. I will keep you posted.

I had similar issue with FB So White FO. It smelled awful in the bottle but I gave it a go and made one small soap just to test it.
Well, 5 weeks later and I'm using it in the shower. It still has this one annoying/weird note to it, but overall it's really nice.
Wait out and see how it is in about few weeks, use it in the shower instead of just sniffing it. ;)

Just an update for the long term thoughts.... almost 9 months later.

Scent is still very very strong (talk about a sticker!). Ended up tossing the original bars yesterday because , well, because. The color was gorgeous (did not get a pic oops but a beautiful dark reddy pinky) but it was too much scent wise.

The HP bars at .4 held also, you could probably get away with .2 in HP and be able to actually use it. Very strong floraly with a weirdness to it...hard to describe. One bar was given to a brave friend who liked it, but said it was indeed still too strong. Part of me wants to try it at a lower dose but the FO bottle is still banished in a ziploc LOL.

Moral of the story: DO NOT buy a big bottle of this without getting a tester.

I am curious about the original version as I can't see this being a huge seller.... too bad there's no stores around here that carry it!

In your earlier posts you mentioned Honeysuckle. If you like honeysuckle California Candle has a wonderful sticker, Tropical Honeysuckle. I am soaping it today. My test batch is 2 months old and it is still strong. His website does not reflect it is body safe but it is. I asked him for the paperwork and he mentioned he will update the website soon. The owner is a vendor friend of mine.

I'd have to go to a Lush store to see about that and frankly, I avoid them because the scents emanating from those stores are a little much. They have the perfume online though.

Just an update for the long term thoughts.... almost 9 months later.

Scent is still very very strong (talk about a sticker!). Ended up tossing the original bars yesterday because , well, because. The color was gorgeous (did not get a pic oops but a beautiful dark reddy pinky) but it was too much scent wise.

The HP bars at .4 held also, you could probably get away with .2 in HP and be able to actually use it. Very strong floraly with a weirdness to it...hard to describe. One bar was given to a brave friend who liked it, but said it was indeed still too strong. Part of me wants to try it at a lower dose but the FO bottle is still banished in a ziploc LOL.

I'm curious if the HP discolored the same way. I've attached pictures of my soap after it was poured and ~10 months later. I want a shirt in that color! This is the only FO that ever discolored this bright gorgeous color. If I tried HP, I probably would go even lower like 0.1 or 0.05.

My soap has been in an unheated detached garage for about 10 months now. No creature took a single bite out of it or even expressed any interest in it all winter long which is surprising since it is a good source of fat and more importantly salt. Also, there is no sign of rancidity or DOS or any other issues. The garage is hot (120F+) during the day and we've had oppressive humidity for more than 2 months. The soap still smells the same as at full cure with no hint of fading. I still won't use it. I might put it in the backyard to see if the squirrels will take a bite but I seriously doubt it.

Lust.jpg

Lust_At_10_Months.jpg

Wow! It's too bad you dislike it so much - it would be great to have a discoloring fragrance that turned a color besides brown. That is a beautiful pink.

Yes, it did turn the same gorgeous pink in HP. It had swirls since I added the FO after cook and can never blend it perfectly....very nice color!

Would be a good soap for someone who has lost their sense of smell! I don't blame the critters for not having a snack. Then again, maybe it has uses as a critter repellant?!?!

A very very long update.....ran across a tiny piece of this as I was clearing space. The pink never faded! The scent did finally fade (almost 2 years) but was still there enough for me to remember why I didn't like it. If you're looking for a sticker, this is it!

I have determined that I do not like dirty jasmine by itself, but if you do, this is the one LOL

Latest posts

Back