Color changing candle wax

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michelinenyc

Reaction score
Help!! I saw these candles on Etsy that start out white but then change color after melting. Does anyone have any idea how this is done? Sorry I'm a bit of a newbie. I've attached some pics of this magical candle sorcery.

IMG_8406.jpg

IMG_8407.jpg

Not a candle maker but it looks cool.

My guess would be a double layer candle. A single color that gets revealed as the white melts or two colors that can mix for other effects. (Part of me wanted to make a dipped soap someday that works similarly)

What a cool idea! We can experiment.:think:
Perhaps they used this mold I have seen for the center color. It is almost like a long cookie cutter.
Or perhaps they poured a smaller pillar with the color and embedded it into the white container candle.
Or perhaps they used some colored wax in the center that released and melted once burned.
Or perhaps they just put a ring of concentrated dye into tiny holes, carefully poured to seal, then continued filling.
Or...............
Gosh, now I want to play.

I found a couple of tutorials on how to make gender reveal candles, and it seems fairly straightforward. The bulk of the wax is white, but there's a colored core. One person used the little metal cups tea lights come in to make the color core for a gender reveal candle made in a teacup. I bet you could do multiple color changes even, just make sure the colors you use will blend into a nice color and not just go all mucky brown.

Back