~*~ SMF May 2017 Challenge - Fluid Acrylic Cell Pour!! ~*~
~ May 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread ~

Soap Making Forum > Soapmaking & Candle Recipe & Tutorials Forum > Soap Making Recipes & Tutorials > Would like a recipe for a simple Castile-like soap that cures fast

Old 03-20-2017, 06:09 PM   #51
The Efficacious Gentleman
Lifetime Supporting Member
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 7658 Times on 3704 Posts
Likes Given: 3691

Is it not also what other people (ie those who don't soap but buy soap) tend to think, too? When you say "champagne", do you mean a wine produced only in the Champagne region of France, or just a keyword for a sparkling white? Most people now say "Prosecco" or sparkling white for anything not actually "champagne" (even though Prosecco is also region specific).

But when people think of Castile, what are they expecting? Many people who are new and learn more about what soaps are made of are often quite amazed to learn that Dr Bonners Castile is not just Olive oil. And that he is also not actually a doctor!

People Like This 
Old 03-20-2017, 06:34 PM   #52
SaltedFig

Liked 324 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Efficacious Gentleman View Post
Is it not also what other people (ie those who don't soap but buy soap) tend to think, too? When you say "champagne", do you mean a wine produced only in the Champagne region of France, or just a keyword for a sparkling white? Most people now say "Prosecco" or sparkling white for anything not actually "champagne" (even though Prosecco is also region specific).

But when people think of Castile, what are they expecting? Many people who are new and learn more about what soaps are made of are often quite amazed to learn that Dr Bonners Castile is not just Olive oil. And that he is also not actually a doctor!
The French winemakers from Champagne vigorously defend their regional name, and have won a significant number of court cases across the world in the last decade or so. I know here in Australia our winemakers changed the names of their product to avoid facing legal action.

The soap makers from Marseille and Castile don't seem to have the same geographical protection, although the French will soon (if this is anything to go by, they are well on the way to getting protection in the next few years: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...akers-in-bitt/).

Castile? Not seeing any geographical protection, which is sad in a way, but the reality of advertising and common usage of of words (here in Australia, for years people would call a ball point pen a Bic, even if it wasn't, just because the company name was so closely associated with the pen type that the name became the common usage for the pen, much to the annoyance of other manufacturers at the time!).

People Like This 
Old 03-20-2017, 08:15 PM   #53
IrishLass
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 6280 Times on 3224 Posts
Likes Given: 4195

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeMoor View Post
BTW, maybe it's just me, but that link didn't work for me. With the name James S. Kirk & CO, I'm guessing that refers to "Kirk's Castile" soap -- which, if I remember correctly, is all coconut oil. ??? Please correct me if that's wrong. Obviously, he won his case.
For what its worth, the link comes up fine for me.

IrishLass

Old 03-20-2017, 09:22 PM   #54
Kelley

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I haven't made a cream soap or shave soap yet. I have read about stearic making bars harder but not anything else. There is just so much to learn!
I'm in the UK btw. Maybe I should use Palm, if it's going to make a better soap. I'm an orangutan fan and so I avoid it but only because I have had some wonderful results without it. I guess I can buy the sustainable kind...
Thank you for your help.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:27 PM   #55
shunt2011
SOAP_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4267 Times on 2853 Posts
Likes Given: 3414

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelley View Post
I haven't made a cream soap or shave soap yet. I have read about stearic making bars harder but not anything else. There is just so much to learn!
I'm in the UK btw. Maybe I should use Palm, if it's going to make a better soap. I'm an orangutan fan and so I avoid it but only because I have had some wonderful results without it. I guess I can buy the sustainable kind...
Thank you for your help.
If your not opposed, lard makes an awesome soap. Better than palm.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:29 PM   #56
shunt2011
SOAP_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4267 Times on 2853 Posts
Likes Given: 3414

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeMoor View Post
DITTO what DeeAnna said.

Thank you for posting that. I've long wanted to mention that, technically, "castile" means a soap made with all vegetable oils, i.e., containing no tallow. But, in Margo's defense, she meant no harm and was only passionately parroting what she learned elsewhere. KWIM? I hope we can agree, that many soapers become "victims" of soaping forums and groups where "castile" means 100% olive oil soaps. It's just one of those pieces of mis-information that gets passed down the line -- on and on and on -- until it becomes "cast-in-stone" -- or, as I call it, "soapstone"! Haha. ... Hence, the necessity of inventing the soap-making-world jargon, "bastile" (bastard + castile), to mean olive oil + other vegie oils.

BTW, maybe it's just me, but that link didn't work for me. With the name James S. Kirk & CO, I'm guessing that refers to "Kirk's Castile" soap -- which, if I remember correctly, is all coconut oil. ??? Please correct me if that's wrong. Obviously, he won his case.
Unfortunately, she makes negative comments like this quite often and offers nothing much as far as help or assistance to others and it's not nice.
People Like This 
Old 03-21-2017, 04:36 AM   #57
Zany_in_CO
Saponifier

Liked 389 Times on 258 Posts
Likes Given: 1630

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLass View Post
For what its worth, the link comes up fine for me.
Thanks, Irish. I just tried it again and it worked!

IrishLass Likes This