~*~ SMF October 2017 Challenge - Simple Minimalistic Swirl! ~*~
~ October 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Aromatherapy, Herbs and Essential Oils > Using rectified cade EO in cp soap - how much

Old 03-19-2017, 04:21 PM   #1
beardguy

Liked 146 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Default Using rectified cade EO in cp soap - how much

I bought some cade EO since I like all things smoky, but it is very pungent. It smells straight up like the ashes from a bonfire : very phenolic.

I want to have a touch of smoke in an eucalyptus and peppermint EO blend I plan to use in a body salt bar.

Which percentage of cade should I use ? I was thinking about 5% in the blend and will only do a small batch, with eucalyptus and peppermint split evenly.

I plan to scent with the blend at about 3-4% ppo.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:26 PM   #2
cmzaha
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4824 Times on 2811 Posts
Likes Given: 1150

Maybe try entering your blend in her calculator http://www.modernsoapmaking.com/calc..._type%5D=14997

Here is the actual calculator from Modern Soapmaking http://www.modernsoapmaking.com/enter-your-own-blend/

cmzaha
No kids in the soaping area
Zany_in_CO Likes This 
Old 03-19-2017, 05:35 PM   #3
beardguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmzaha View Post
Maybe try entering your blend in her calculator http://www.modernsoapmaking.com/calc..._type%5D=14997

Here is the actual calculator from Modern Soapmaking http://www.modernsoapmaking.com/enter-your-own-blend/
Thank your for your response.

I put my numbers in the calculator before posting and the usage rate I wanted was fine. I'm more worried about the aroma of using cade in soap so it is not overwhelming.
Zany_in_CO Likes This 
Old 03-19-2017, 06:13 PM   #4
cmzaha
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4824 Times on 2811 Posts
Likes Given: 1150

I would start with a few drops of each on a cue tip and see how the scent develops. You can stick the cue tips in a baggie for a few hrs to overnight. Not knowing what your percentage of the Euc/peppermint blend is I would probably try .5% of the Cade to start with if it is really strong.

My method is to start with the predominant fragrance I want then add the one in question. So if you have a Euc/Peppermint you like just add in drops of the Cade until you like it. I fragrance almost all soaps at min of 6%. Start with a small amount and keep notes, you can easily end up with several ounces if you have to keep changing the eo amounts. That is why I like to start out with drops so I can easily adjust and translate into percentage or ratio

cmzaha
No kids in the soaping area
People Like This 
Old 03-19-2017, 06:22 PM   #5
beardguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmzaha View Post
I would start with a few drops of each on a cue tip and see how the scent develops. You can stick the cue tips in a baggie for a few hrs to overnight. Not knowing what your percentage of the Euc/peppermint blend is I would probably try .5% of the Cade to start with if it is really strong.

My method is to start with the predominant fragrance I want then add the one in question. So if you have a Euc/Peppermint you like just add in drops of the Cade until you like it. I fragrance almost all soaps at min of 6%. Start with a small amount and keep notes, you can easily end up with several ounces if you have to keep changing the eo amounts. That is why I like to start out with drops so I can easily adjust and translate into percentage or ratio
That's a very good idea, thank you, will do.
Zany_in_CO Likes This 
Old 03-20-2017, 07:08 PM   #6
beardguy

I tried the q-tip method and found that about 4% cade was right. I made the salt bars this morning (day off, yeah !) and swapped the peppermint for lemongrass since I didn't care for peppermint and cade together. I went with 5% ppo EO usage rate (I didn't factor salt weight at all).

I went with a simple 100% CO recipe with a 15% superfat I found on the internet. I chose to go with 100% oil weight in salt, added at trace after adding the EO (go big or go home).

Boy oh boy did that EO blend accelerate on me. The second I added the EO and mixed, by hand, it went from thin trace to pudding. This is a recipe that needs no stick blending.

Alarmed, I poured the salt in and stirred to incorporate as best as I could. I had to scoop the batter in the molds so there is a lot of texture on the tops.

Sadly, the cade seems to have all but disappeared. Maybe it'll come back once the bar is wet. The bars were rock hard 3 hours after shoving them into the molds, so I unmolded and cleaned them up with a knife somewhat.
Zany_in_CO Likes This 
Old 03-20-2017, 08:13 PM   #7
Millie

Liked 378 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 2492

Cedarwood EO might help bridge the cade and peppermint for a smokey forest mint scent. Let us know if the cade scent reappears. I usually put my scents through a three week open air test - if they last that long they generally stick around in soap. On the down side there was one scent I put through the test, didn't like it at first but over time it became lovely. I put it in a soap and it took roughly 6 months to change and get that lovely scent. Scenting is still mostly a mystery to me, but boy I feel proud when I get it right!
Zany_in_CO Likes This 
Old 03-28-2017, 09:00 PM   #8
makemineirish
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 225 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardguy View Post
I bought some cade EO since I like all things smoky, but it is very pungent. It smells straight up like the ashes from a bonfire : very phenolic.

I want to have a touch of smoke in an eucalyptus and peppermint EO blend I plan to use in a body salt bar.

Which percentage of cade should I use ? I was thinking about 5% in the blend and will only do a small batch, with eucalyptus and peppermint split evenly.

I plan to scent with the blend at about 3-4% ppo.
I found a recipe for an essential oil blend on a respected site that utilizes cade (rectified) as 2% of the essential oil blend. I might start there.

Do you mind if I asked where you purchased yours from?

Old 03-31-2017, 11:23 PM   #9
beardguy

New Directions Aromatics.

The soap I used the cade in now only smells of cade and it is not a subtle smell: very medicinal and phenolic (like coal tar shampoo). I will probably not use it in soap anymore...
Millie Likes This 
Old 04-01-2017, 12:17 AM   #10
Millie

Liked 378 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 2492

Thanks for sharing your results! I hope the scent evens out for you over time. Big bonus points if you give us an update in a few months or so

Zany_in_CO Likes This