~*~ SMF June 2017 Challenge - Peacock Swirls! ~*~
~ June 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Soap Making Forum > Announcements and Site News > SoapMakingForum Announcements, Comments, Help & Rules > Delete button is missing
Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 04:43 PM   #31
Zany_in_CO
Saponifier

Liked 451 Times on 295 Posts
Likes Given: 1892

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlene View Post
But now the edit button is only available for 3 hours. I need to edit my SMF challenge photo, to add the cut soap, but can't do so. Why is there only a 3 hour window?
I "sense" there may be some general maintenance going on. In any case, here's what Angie wrote about this problem earlier in this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie View Post
The delete is seen for a short time after a post to give time to edit or delete. After the short time the post become permanent and a mod or admin will have to do the deleting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin View Post
You can still edit and delete a post for some time after you post it but once it's been established and part of the discussion it cannot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie View Post
The delete button will stay gone but you have 3 hours if you need to edit a thread/post. Most forums do not have it where members can delete their own threads and posts. If you have a post that needs deleted, please contact a mod or Admin. We do try to keep all but spam threads/posts on the site as it helps keep the flow of conversations.

Old 03-20-2017, 05:02 PM   #32
lsg
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 2997 Times on 2129 Posts
Likes Given: 188

Quote:
But now the edit button is only available for 3 hours. I need to edit my SMF challenge photo, to add the cut soap, but can't do so. Why is there only a 3 hour window?
Angie is doing her best to take care of the problem. Please remember, she is the top admin., but not the owner of the forum. There is only so much she can do. You can always post a picture of your cut soap. We are only human; we love you all and are doing our best for you.

Be somebody who makes everybody feel like a somebody.

Old 03-20-2017, 05:04 PM   #33
Angie
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 80 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 33

If you post a message to Admin, it may not be seen for some time as he only comes around from time to time and usually for maintenance items. I'm the day to day Admin with the other daily moderators and Admins here.
People Like This 
Old 03-20-2017, 05:05 PM   #34
Angie
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 80 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Thanks lsg, you have summed the situation up very well.
CeeMoor Likes This 
Old 04-08-2017, 01:45 PM   #35
earlene
Grandmother & Soaper
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1737 Times on 865 Posts
Likes Given: 1369

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie View Post
Delete button is back! You click edit first, then hit delete. Easy peasy.
I do not see a delete button. I just cross posted and only seconds later looked for a way to delete my post since DeeAnna had posted simultaneously and there was not Delete option in the edit.

I really would like to see both the edit option remain for as long as we continue to be members and the delete option to return as well.

I know that it may be a function of the host and not the admins, but I also know that admins (usually) have some input into how forum changes occur or can be changed when their members provide feedback about changes. Is that the case in this situation? If not, so be it, but if so, how does the admin group feel about this topic?

ETA: I referenced this post.
Scooter Likes This 
Old 04-08-2017, 03:05 PM   #36
Zany_in_CO
Saponifier

Liked 451 Times on 295 Posts
Likes Given: 1892

Quote:
I really would like to see both the edit option remain for as long as we continue to be members and the delete option to return as well. ... I know that it may be a function of the host and not the admins, but I also know that admins (usually) have some input into how forum changes occur or can be changed when their members provide feedback about changes. Is that the case in this situation? If not, so be it, but if so, how does the admin group feel about this topic?
Ditto. I'm wondering if this forum has a "Poll" feature? Maybe poll the members to get a consensus?

I'm not complaining, I'm just saying...
I recently posted the SoapCalc values for another soapers recipe and took great pains to have those numbers come up as seen on SoapCalc. I tried 3 times to get it right. When I previewed the post, the numbers came up scrambled. Finally on the third try they looked "perfect". LOL So I submitted the post and went to bed. The next morning, the numbers were not next to the quality where they should be, but fell in a long list down the page. (sigh) It would have been nice to be able to fix it, but the Edit Button was no longer available. Here's a link to the thread:

ETA: http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showt...515#post641515

Old 04-08-2017, 03:11 PM   #37
Scooter

Liked 216 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 1310

I agree with Earlene. Even though I do not think there is anything I want to delete now, earlier posts were made with the delete option available and someone may have posted then thinking that if they wanted to delete later that would be possible. Changing the rules in the middle of the game as it were seems not quite kosher to me.

Old 04-08-2017, 06:59 PM   #38
lsg
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

As far as I know, the rules have not been changed and we have done our best to alleviate the problem. A missing delete button may have more to do with a forum format change than a rule change. If you are hesitant about making a post, type it out on word pad first and then read it over before copying and posting it here.
As a wise man once said, “You are master of what you say until you utter it, once you deliver it, you are its captive."

People Like This 
Old 04-08-2017, 07:08 PM   #39
lsg
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Quote:
I do not see a delete button. I just cross posted and only seconds later looked for a way to delete my post since DeeAnna had posted simultaneously and there was not Delete option in the edit.

I really would like to see both the edit option remain for as long as we continue to be members and the delete option to return as well.

I know that it may be a function of the host and not the admins, but I also know that admins (usually) have some input into how forum changes occur or can be changed when their members provide feedback about changes. Is that the case in this situation? If not, so be it, but if so, how does the admin group feel about this topic?

ETA: I referenced this post.
Earlene, after you click the edit button, there should be a delete button under the lower, right corner of the window.

Susie Likes This 
Old 04-08-2017, 08:05 PM   #40
Susie
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7365 Times on 4073 Posts
Likes Given: 15264

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsg View Post
Earlene, after you click the edit button, there should be a delete button under the lower, right corner of the window.
For three hours, right?

Closed Thread