Organic wicks and organic wax?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rosetown

Reaction score
Hi,
1: I made candles with organic beeswax but then realized that the wicks aren't organic. But I cant find any organic wicks that are suitable for beeswax candles.
Isn't there any?

2: Is organic beeswax the only organic wax for candle making. Or wax in general?
Doesn't the process that makes the oils turn into wax remove the "organic" tag? For example soywax, rapeseedwax, palm wax etc(all waxes used in candles for example)

I hope you can help me. I'm good at finding info but this I just cant get answers to :)

I'm not a candle maker, but the texts I have (old "as a housewife you make everything" stuff) indicates wicks are braided cotton. cotton seems like a good candidate for being organic to me (provided the grower adheres to those practices.)

Since there is no legal definition of "organic", the onus is on you to define what you feel is organic. Is soy wax organic? A Soybean can be, does a process after that make it non organic? Stearic Acid mad from Palm Oil could be considered organic, again it depends on what you feel constitutes that classification.

Tallow is organic in my book, and people made tallow candles for centuries.

1. No idea how well these would work but here is a link to organic hemp wicks
http://www.hempwickbeeline.com/shop
http://www.hempwick.com/collections/hempwick-single-packs

2. From what I understand there is no certified organic waxes/oils produced in the united states. If you buy some imported from outside the USA they will honor that cert. You could try to find QAI certified to help assure the quality. Soy wax is common for candles. You might also want to look into making your own blend with vegan waxes. Candelilla, Soy, and Carnauba waxes can all be found organic.

Hopefully this helps some

Last edited:
Back