de-funk de pits

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am also happy with it, of course I had changed a bit but all feedback is great and I am great too, Never tried two days without shower, but whole day on hot day on market it works, We have all July temps around 98F
Obsidian, babassu oil has deodorizing properties on it's own , and not stain at all (earlene:) )
In my opinion we should keep that thread alive :) the only upload of pic is through URL?????

Last edited:
But I do have to ask a rather elementary question. How are you dissolving the Magnesium or is it oil soluble? I am just to hot and lazy to look it up. House is 100º F again today. If it does not cool down tonight my house will be hotter tomorrow :mad:

Holy smoke! 100 degrees inside? I would melt :)
When we 1st took my daughter to visit her college it was April, We are wearing shorts in ATL and got off the plane and was like OMG I need a parka! :)
But that was in San Francisco and it seems to be always cold there :)

I'm still using mine and it's still working great! I buy my mag hydroxide from the same link Earlene posted.

But I do have to ask a rather elementary question. How are you dissolving the Magnesium or is it oil soluble? I am just to hot and lazy to look it up. House is 100º F again today. If it does not cool down tonight my house will be hotter tomorrow :mad:

The mag hydroxide does not so much dissolve as disperse (like TD). Currently, in this hot weather, I make a thick paste of it with the babassu using a ratio 45% babassu to 55% mag hydroxide and apply with my fingers, rubbing it in. The mag hydroxide is very fine and powder soft and the deodorant goes on smooth and creamy. There's no friction and no irritation at all from it, and the babassu does not stain or cause oil slicks on my clothing (unlike coconut oil).

IrishLass :)

I'm still using mine and it's still working great! I buy my mag hydroxide from the same link Earlene posted.
The mag hydroxide does not so much dissolve as disperse (like TD). Currently, in this hot weather, I make a thick paste of it with the babassu using a ratio 45% babassu to 55% mag hydroxide and apply with my fingers, rubbing it in. The mag hydroxide is very fine and powder soft and the deodorant goes on smooth and creamy. There's no friction and no irritation at all from it, and the babassu does not stain or cause oil slicks on my clothing (unlike coconut oil).
Thankyou, for the info

I, too, use it still and am happy with it. I made another one though, after seeing a recipe on a French website the other day. Here is the recipe:

50% coconut oil (I used babassu oil for the reasons mentioned above)
10% carnauba wax
3% cetearyl alcohol
6% olivem 1000
Melt all these in a bain-marie then add:
20% magnesium carbonate
9.5% arrowroot powder
1% litsea EO
0.5% palmarosa EO.

It is like a lotion bar although, in the heat wave we are experiencing at the moment, it is a bit soft. I find it equally effective.

Gaisy59 here and i too am still using the babassu/mag deo and still loving it. IrishLass discovered that i was using the harder babassu oil which was why i was breaking all those tubes AND peeling skin off my underarms when applying lol.

When i make more all i do is melt the oil a bit to soften it and then stir in the mag and plop it into my tubes. Easy peasy. This thread has been great and i too have been keeping an eye on it. One question tho...how much scent do you guys have to add? I cannot seem to add enough to get any aroma.

If the magnesium acts as a deodorizer, is it absorbing/neutralizing the scent?

I once thought that about another deodorant I used, but it turned out the scent came back, so I assumed I had had some sort of nasal congestion that was interfering with my sense of smell for a period.

One question tho...how much scent do you guys have to add? I cannot seem to add enough to get any aroma.

It depends on the fragrance itself, I believe. I've been using 1% with

Too much Rose FO (accidentally spilled) made my underarms red and inflamed. Boy was that uncomfortable. But the fragrance was certainly strong. But I couldn't use it! I ended up melting it down and adding more oil & mag sulfate.

When not making mistakes like that, I go for 1% by weight of the total batch size. With Dragon's Blood, I smell the fragrance all day long. Some fragrances are not as long lasting, though. But remember the armpits are a sensitive area and too much fragrance can be irritating. Also, I suggest reading the IFRA safe usage rates for each FO or EO you plan to use. Remember that deodorants & anti-perspirants are in category 2 (link).

I have been using only magnesium hydroxide as a powder on my underarms for months now and have had good results with it despite the many hours of being outside in the heat and humidity most days. It's rather amazing stuff.

I've done that as well (dusted underarms with the straight mag hydroxide powder), and then applied one of my store-bought deodorants over it that I still had in my medicine cabinet (to use it up), and darned if the store-bought deodorant didn't work the best that it ever had before. lol

I've been using 50/50 babassu & mag hydroxide for about a year and I love it! An interesting thing I've found is if I notice a smell at the end of the day, I use a hemorrhoid wipe (witch hazel) and clean the deo off, reapply, no odor! It's like the deo absorbs the smelly stuff and holds onto it. Once it's wiped off, icky scent is gone. My shirts have no oil stains in the armpit area either.

My problem right now is the babassu I recently bought. About 6 months ago I bought it from one vendor and it's still firm, soft since it's summer, but solid. A few weeks ago I bought it from another vendor and it's liquid at room temp, which right now is about 76 F in my house (Thankfully not 100F!) The only way I can get it solid is to keep it in the fridge. Are there different types of babassu? Is the new one not 100% babassu? I bought both from soap supply stores so I don't understand it. My deo is now at a consistency I have to apply it using my fingers since it's so soft, like a cream. My previous batches were firm enough to dispense from roll up deo containers. Isn't the melting point about 76F, the same as coconut oil?

On a side note, I recently tried my old store brand aluminum based deo and it burned my pits! I guess my skin is now used to being aluminum free and prefers the mag hydroxide.:thumbs:

I've been using 50/50 babassu & mag hydroxide for about a year and I love it! An interesting thing I've found is if I notice a smell at the end of the day, I use a hemorrhoid wipe (witch hazel) and clean the deo off, reapply, no odor! It's like the deo absorbs the smelly stuff and holds onto it. Once it's wiped off, icky scent is gone. My shirts have no oil stains in the armpit area either.

My problem right now is the babassu I recently bought. About 6 months ago I bought it from one vendor and it's still firm, soft since it's summer, but solid. A few weeks ago I bought it from another vendor and it's liquid at room temp, which right now is about 76 F in my house (Thankfully not 100F!) The only way I can get it solid is to keep it in the fridge. Are there different types of babassu? Is the new one not 100% babassu? I bought both from soap supply stores so I don't understand it. My deo is now at a consistency I have to apply it using my fingers since it's so soft, like a cream. My previous batches were firm enough to dispense from roll up deo containers. Isn't the melting point about 76F, the same as coconut oil?

On a side note, I recently tried my old store brand aluminum based deo and it burned my pits! I guess my skin is now used to being aluminum free and prefers the mag hydroxide.:thumbs:
Lol Krista did you see my recent post? Thanks to IrishLass i discovered that yes there are two kinds of babassu oil. I actually didnt mind the harder ine for travelling but it really is difficult to apply. When i travel with the softer one it becomes more like a cream and i used a small canning jar so it doesnt leak and i apply with my fingers.

I was really confused when everyone said it was soft at room temperature and mine never was.

I order big batches of the 76 degree one because i ended up using it in my soap now too. Hope this clarifies your confusion.

Hi everyone. I just popped in to look at some old photos from challenges in 2016 so I can figure out what my soaps are and saw I had a few messages. I'm so thrilled that this thread is alive and well. It warms my heart that the babassu oil is so successful for so many people. IrishLass's discovery of the magnesium hydroxide was the real breakthrough, I think. I've been using it since I started this thread and I'm still pleasantly surprised at how well it works. I've also noticed that my diet has a huge amount of influence on how stinky I am. If I eat meat, I tend to stink. If I stay with a mostly veggie diet, it's not as bad. It also helps my IBS, so I tend to be vegetarian more than carnivore these days.

Latest posts

Back